Default Tube Extension - Follower Sticks

Guys,

Remington 870 Police. Tube extension sent to me some years back by Mike Taylor (God bless the man). The follower sticks where the two tubes join - both on the way up and on the way down. Not every time but enough to make the gun dangerously unreliable. I can't figure out how the heck to solve it. I've used both the original Remington follower and a syntehtic material luminous green job. I've tried chamfering the edges of this last; no real joy. The two tubes *are* screwed up tight against each other. When I take the follower and the spring out and shine a light up the tube from the action end, if I peer through the little hole in the end of the extension, I can see just a very tiny bit (I mean tiny) bit of misalignment on the bores of the two tubes.

There is a barrel clamp between the tube extension and the barrel. IIRC it came with the tube extension kit. Can't remember what make the kit was. Looks like the original Remington factory bits.

Any thoughts on resolution?

Cheers
    WZ
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 27-06-2017 at 17:49.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Default Re: Tube Extension - Follower Sticks

Did you play around with the tension on the barrel clamp? Otherwise dump it and try and get the real deal from Remington. You can try Brownells . When I still had my 870 the Remington genuine parts extension with barrel clamp had no problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

Thanks Arno. Looking around the web the problem seems to mainly (only?) arise with the original factory part... I wonder about that barrel clamp. Let me fit and look inside the tube to see if anything happens.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Found my original installation guide. It's an original Remington kit. But I think that I know what the problem is. Let me solve and then I'll post here for future reference.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Found my original installation guide. It's an original Remington kit. But I think that I know what the problem is. Let me solve and then I'll post here for future reference.
    Would be interesting to know if you do rectify the problem.

User

I remember when I fitted mine, I had to dremmel 2 little bulges down. Many people just drill them out and blue the holes.

RAGE, AFAIK on the standard model yes but not necessary on the Police. At least not on mine, which is a Police.

Arno, in a word: crud. Remington appear to line the inside of the extension tube with a very thin layer of something which I can only describe as a form of hard dry cosmoline, something which is not immediately apparent upon inspection. Some of this eventually finds its way down the rest of the tube. The follower appears to bind and tilt as a result. Brake cleaner seems to get it out. I'll try the gun now and see what happens.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 02-07-2017 at 06:04. Reason: Fixed typo

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

So that's the one thing. The other is to only very lightly tighten the tube extension (per Remington installation instructions too). The barrel clamp is what stops it from rotating and loosening.

Problem now solved. Works like it should.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    So that's the one thing. The other is to only very lightly tighten the tube extension (per Remington installation instructions too). The barrel clamp is what stops it from rotating and loosening.

Problem now solved. Works like it should.
    Great stuff glad its working. Good problem solving info for the future if you have a 870 an experience the same problem. I guess I was just lucky when I had my 870 and added the extension.