Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: .22 LR handgun to teach children?

In Western Cape Kaapjag has every Friday a kids 22lr Rifle shoot. Where they teach kids correct shooting.
    Standing, Prone and sitting.
    Its every Friday from 15h00. You dont even have to be a Kaapjag member to bring the kids.
    You also dont need a 22lr rifle. There will be that your kid can use.
    They shoot out to 50m.

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...I think really young kids should learn on rifles as its a bit more difficult to turn the gun quickly..."

"...Irrespective of what rifle is chosen I'm a big proponent of putting an optic on there..."

I agree with this. When my oldest son was 6 I was also very eager to get him into shooting. Even had a stock made for a Ruger Mark 1 pistol. But I then realised quickly that he was in fact still too young for this. I then got us a Ruger SR 22 rifle, with a bipod and red dot sight. That really worked well to let him experience the joys of shooting, and train him marksmanship princples and the fundamentals of shooting. (The thing is a laser! If you do your part, you can expect very good accuracy. No issues with being unsure about the accuracy of the rifle). He is 13 now and has shot my Glock 34 on occasion, he does well with it, but still under close and direct supervision and control. I think he can still benefit from a .22 pistol now, such as the Ruger 22/45. Less recoil still and therefore concentration on fundamentals.

User

IF you're going to go the rifle route, is an air rifle not easier? I'm in the same boat, looking for something to get my 6 year old daughter interested in. Cheaper to shoot, and no 'hassles' with license.

Banned

I really like the idea of a red dot sight on a .22 rifle; my Mrs also stated that she has been thinking along those lines for a while.

In the meantime I have very generously been offered a Beretta 71 to start things.

Quote Originally Posted by SamVimes View Post
    IF you're going to go the rifle route, is an air rifle not easier? I'm in the same boat, looking for something to get my 6 year old daughter interested in. Cheaper to shoot, and no 'hassles' with license.
    There is a huge fun and excitement factor in shooting a decent semi auto 22 rifle with a red dot. Immediate success and instant reward. If you want to get someone hooked for life and have one chance, this is perhaps it. Recoil and sound can be less than a pellet gun when the 22 is suppressed. The accuracy of the SR22 rifle is unquestionable in my experience with one. So if the shooter misses, the fault is with him. No reason to suspect less than perfect accuracy from one of the cheaper breakneck pellet guns.

Of course many of us have started with pellet guns - that can also work. But it is more work. The new generation PCP air rifles can be more expensive than a Ruger SR 22.

User

My 9 year shoots my G19. I've got a Beretta 71 in consideration.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    There is a huge fun and excitement factor in shooting a decent semi auto 22 rifle with a red dot. Immediate success and instant reward. If you want to get someone hooked for life and have one chance, this is perhaps it. Recoil and sound can be less than a pellet gun when the 22 is suppressed. The accuracy of the SR22 rifle is unquestionable in my experience with one. So if the shooter misses, the fault is with him. No reason to suspect less than perfect accuracy from one of the cheaper breakneck pellet guns.

Of course many of us have started with pellet guns - that can also work. But it is more work. The new generation PCP air rifles can be more expensive than a Ruger SR 22.
    Thanks! So many guns, so little money...

I'll keep a lookout for a nice .22 then. I started with a pellet gun, followed by a .22 and I can attest to the .22 being much more fun to shoot. I want one in any case - I think it's a great tool to practise with! But first I suppose I need to get my new 6.5 licensed.

This is what ive done to my Buckmark
    The stock and front forend just clip off.
    The sight rail on the Buckmarks you can change out with Fixed/adjustable sights or a dovetail rail.
    So it converts back to normal form in 5-10min.

Attachment 26468Attachment 26469Attachment 26470

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    This is what ive done to my Buckmark
    The stock and front forend just clip off.
    The sight rail on the Buckmarks you can change out with Fixed/adjustable sights or a dovetail rail.
    So it converts back to normal form in 5-10min.

Attachment 26468Attachment 26469Attachment 26470
    I very much like !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3