Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default .22 LR handgun to teach children?

We went to the range and my oldest (4 years) really enjoyed shooting the handguns. Especially "the real big one" - my Webley .455 . But he is so small that I have to hold and aim even our smallest handgun for him. I would have did it anyway but he cannot reach the trigger properly.Thus as soon as money allows I want to get something small in .22LR for his pleasure. My sole purpose at this stage is for him to be able to hold it in some fashion. Any suggestions or experience? On a side note: he knows the four kiddies gun rules by heart and recited them every time he saw our guns on the table: stop, don't touch, run away, tell mom/dad.

User

Ds a 2nd hand Berets M71 would be a good start. My now 13 year old daughter started on my S&W Mod 41 as it was in house before her tough.

User

Default Re: .22 LR handgun to teach children?

I have an old Ruger MKII. Runs very well all things considered and is a hoot to shoot. It has a really nice trigger which makes it a breeze to shoot really accurately. Should also fit smaller hands pretty well and obviously there is almost no recoil. I can't comment on sourcing mags and parts locally, but I know Brownells stocks pretty much everything you may need.

Edit: I missed the part where you said he can't reach the trigger properly. I'm not sure how well a MK2 would work in that case. The trigger is pretty far back but the grip isn't pocket-gun small
    Last edited by Acajou; 01-07-2017 at 21:24. Reason: Idiocy

User

Ruger MkII or MkIII, Browning Buckmark or Baretta 71. 10/22 or 15-22 for rifle

Banned

Thanks, will start looking around.

User

Keep an eye on the Classic Arms auction. There was a beautiful SS Target model on the last one for just under 5k

Normal ones you can probably pick up for 2-3k

User

I'm in the same boat as you. My eldest (nearly 6) starting to ask to go shooting.

Plenty of options just not sure about what fits in small hands.

I've seen a number of Colt Woodsman pistols around and PPKs. Anyone got any comment on those as well?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned

From what I have read the Woodsman is quite something. The PPK's I simply don't know, given that the PPK's in 9mmK and .32 are not considered top of the range for SD due to reliability issues. Of course, one doesn't need a Glock or CZ-07 to teach a kid to shoot.And too small a pistol cannot be held properly.

User

From my experience teaching my little sister, a .22lr open sight rifle is a better start than a handgun. A rifle shooting tins, cans of beer and targets that make lots of noise will get them aiming nicely and learning all the fundamentals of good marksmanship. I also think managing a rifle instead of a pistol around a 4 year old, will be easier to manage safely. Even a Daisy would be a better call than a handgun at this stage.

I have 2 kind. My daughter is 11 and son 9. I started them out on air rifles with scopes to practice breathing, trigger pull, aim etc. At home. Made it much easier to move over to real rifles and shoot at the range. Then I have both pistol and revolver co2 handguns that they used for the same purpose.

I did however notice that they tend to want to hold the handgun like a rifle and bring it real close to their face as with using a scope and tilting their heads. Took effort to get them using isoceles stance, locked arms, bend bit forward etc. But they have it now.

I have a Betetta Mod71 in .22lr and it is an absolutely brilliant handgun to teach kids with. Easy single action trigger, small, light and very accurate.

I then have a CZ70 in 7.65 that they shoot and also my Beretta Mod84 in 9mm short if they ask me to shoot them.

We also invite friends and family to introduce them to the sport and spread the addiction. If you can get to Bronkhorstspruit you are welcome to bring the kids andvtry them out.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast