Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: .22 LR handgun to teach children?

Yeah, I like the Mod71 for kids as well, small enough for them to reach the trigger, it has a reasonably traditional hammer and safety so the knowledge transfer to other guns is easy.
    I struggled to get my 5yr old to give it up when the ammo was done

Quote Originally Posted by uBestRi View Post
    Yeah, I like the Mod71 for kids as well, small enough for them to reach the trigger, it has a reasonably traditional hammer and safety so the knowledge transfer to other guns is easy.
    I struggled to get my 5yr old to give it up when the ammo was done
    Same here. The highlight for mine is just before we finish up for the day, we see who can shoot out a mag the fastest and be the most accurate. That single action trigger can sure let em fly!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Baretta 71.
    Why do you hate me so much :(

Currently have a Browning Buckmark. Which my 10 year old daughter shoots.
    I customized it. Has detachable stock, suppressor and red dot.
    So its also a nice carbine she can shoot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav van der Walt View Post
    Same here. The highlight for mine is just before we finish up for the day, we see who can shoot out a mag the fastest and be the most accurate. That single action trigger can sure let em fly!

User

Ds
    I have been fortunate to aquire 3 22lr guns. A single shot target pistol (similar to Trundles') is in my opinion a good starting point. The long barrel makes aiming a lot easier than the short sight radius on my Beretta71. Confidence grows quicker. Personal opinion is that single shot is safer to start off with. The next stage is the Beretta.
    My 22lr slr is always a great hit with youngsters, even if it is heavy. Just rest a heavy gun on a table, and work on securing a supply of ammo!

Banned

Thanks for all the inputs. I just remembered that I once experienced a youngster with a Ruger Vaquero. Being a revolver fan I must admit that it ticks all the boxes. It was clearly easy to use and accurate enough for the young one to develop all the skills.

I just want to give Gustav a pat on the back.... in all those pics the kids had a good grip and a decent stance. Have struggled way more with adults who cant follow instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    I just want to give Gustav a pat on the back.... in all those pics the kids had a good grip and a decent stance. Have struggled way more with adults who cant follow instructions.
    Try to teach em right from the start. Kids are more willing to listen than some adults like this one after many many times...still leaning back, bent elbows, jerking the trigger etc.

User

We're handgun people so its also a bit a natural choice. I think really young kids should learn on rifles as its a bit more difficult to turns the gun quickly and do something stupid.

Irrespective of what handgun is chosen I'm a big proponent of putting an optic on there. This way the main focus is on trigger control as sights are pretty much sorted. And the fundamentals of trigger pull are the most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast