Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Counter-poison dog training?

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    My dags have been so trained since 1995, my latest collie unsuccessfully , she only obeys if I am around.
    I place various foods in yard and in park across road and teach dog for few days with extreme shows of anger violence and noise that picking up food is a NO !.
    I bang dustbins pop balloons and sound those compressed air canisters. When dog sniffs food but walks on or begs I move to area's where I can hide. ( here's the part some will whine about and the reason my latest dog failed - wife whined and bitched). I have a old Gegado 22 pellet gun that we used to shoot each other with as kids, it stings and makes angry marks but does not break skin on a human. I then place meat bones what ever at a spot in veld where I can see it from behind a wall or better from a window. The dog will wander around and when it finds food it will look for you and if you are out of sight it will cautiously try for food, a pellet on the rump will dispel all doubt to the reach of your authority. I call it dissociated authority - you are there even if invisible. This MUST be done 2/3 times and try do so just before feeding and at night and some where else to cover all aspects of maybe. ( the Collie I have now will pick up foods at night and behind walls etc, my previous not at all ever. None of my dogs will ever take food from other people, thats easy to train though, again just get a friend or 5 to over best treats and then put on a great show of anger and violence. You do not actually have to hurt the dog, just the threat is enough noise shout and I usually stamp feet and chase the dog 20 ft or so.
    Before the bleeding hearts go on about shooting dog with pellet gun - I work hunt and play on many farms and industrial areas - I will rather shoot my dog harmlessly a few times ( think paint ball) than watch it foam at mouth and convulse before me because it ate some jackal bait.
    Regarding the pellet or BB gun use - the animal must not see you, it must be a act of godly proportion - implying that you are there even if invisible. I go into factories where dog is not allowed and my girl gets told sit stay at main gate, and that she does.
    Rant ,WTF, bleeding hearts , how are you still on this forum? I am breaking my rule of not replying to these types of threads,to tell you that that you are an order of magnitude in the wrong .Are you in such need of attention? Or are§ you just a cruel dog owner? Only little people behave like this and really, I for one have had enough of you, either accidentally shooting your son with a pellet ricochet and drunk posting ,why are we as a community putting up with this crap /Rant

User

Shooting the dog with a pellet gun is a big No No . That is called animal cruelty.

User

Guys come now, have any of you seen what a pinch collar looks like? IOW GIVE AN BETTER IDEA OR SHOVE THE PC BS WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Poison proofing is difficult to do, and what you are proposing is not only inhumane it will be ineffective.

Dogs are opportunistic predators and learn from single events. This mean that they are always on the lookout for something to eat. This is hard wired into them. It is also why their wolf cousins are so often vilified because they will hunt more than they need.

A particular tactic only needs to be successful once for the dog to use it constantly in the hope that it will work again.

Avoidance is the best tactic. Keep your dogs away from areas where they can be baited.
    Avoidance would be great but just not practical. I am not there much of the time and all parties are either at work or at school during the day. The garden is exposed to the street on two sides. Although the yard has been separated by a dividing fence and gate to keep the dogs away from the main gate area they are still exposed on the one side.

Both dogs and wolves are scavengers as much as hunters and it is the scavenging that worries me.

As for this being inhumane. I think you are over reacting somewhat. If this was inhumane then the very act of rigging up the fence in the first stage to keep them off of the patio should be reported forthwith to the SPCA.
    After a couple of experimental wet nose encounters the dogs no longer had any interest in going on to the patio even if the one dog was mainly responding to the other dog's reluctance. After one week I disconnected the device and after about two I took away the wire fencing completely. Up until my GF moved house over a period of about 5 years neither dog could be persuaded to come onto the patio.

Based on this I think it safe in my case to deduce that the possibility may exist that in my case at least the dogs have responded favourably to this kind of conditioning.

I will take a little bit of mild shock therapy over finding my dogs poisoned any day. I think that that is inhumane.

You said that a tactic only has to be successful once and the dog will use it constantly. I have found that this works both ways.

The pursuit of perfection is indeed the enemy of good enough.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    either accidentally shooting your son with a pellet ricochet and drunk posting ,why are we as a community putting up with this crap /Rant
    Because some of us learned from it...WTF TIMS???

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Guys come now, have any of you seen what a pinch collar looks like? IOW GIVE AN BETTER IDEA OR SHOVE THE PC BS WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.
    Meteor. If you think that shooting a dog with a pellet gun is acceptable in terms of training a dog, and disagreeing with the idea is being PC, then we have no basis to even attempt a discussion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Meteor. If you think that shooting a dog with a pellet gun is acceptable in terms of training a dog, and disagreeing with the idea is being PC, then we have no basis to even attempt a discussion.
    Springer are we talking about the same pellet his parents allowed them to shoot each other with?

I do not want to cover my ass at every corner on this forum but to answer your Q, no, I do not agree with it. If your dog is poisoned and his not I would consider openly stating otherwise but for now I'll keep to...give a better idea or give a better idea.

User

Training a dog to not accept food from a bunch of your friends is great, until the day something unexpected happens to you and you cannot be there to feed to dog

Springer are we talking about the same pellet his parents allowed them to shoot each other with?
    Does it matter?

User

So much for firearm safety.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast