Default 7x57 Mauser Oberndorf - Pierneef

Hi
    Hope you guys can help !
    I have a 7x57 fullstock Mauser Oberndorf ser: 77823 , that has a interesting story behind it!
    So the problem is I would like to confirm the the story but i need some details on the rifle , ie model , year , owners and how many was made of the specific model.
    The story goes that this was one of 7 rifles that was made for the boer generals, in the war , this rifle got given to Pierneef( the painter} by the Governor of Transvaal , Pierneef gave it to his brother Cornelis Pierneef because he did not have a son ,Cornelis Pierneef gave it to his son , and his son was my Granddad.
    So that’s how I got the rifle.
    Buts its hard to prove if I don’t have more details on this Rifle.
    I hope there’s someone out there that can help
    Jaco Pierneef
    IMG_9035.jpg IMG_9036.jpgIMG_9037.jpgIMG_9041.jpg

User

Default Re: 7x57 Mauser Oberndorf - Pierneef

Utter nonsense! It's almost worthless and you should just sell it to me.

Beauty!

Ok no problem Wesley hahahahah

User

Jaco, please oil that gun for starters and preserve well.

Awesome gun and great story. Dont know how to verify it, maybe some of the collectors can help out.

Post some more pictures if you can. I have a seriaaas love afair with old mausers

Where are you based?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok so Pierneef did not fight in the war as he was in holland at the time. The Transvaal only got administrators post boer war so he must have been given this some time after the war say 1930. Most likely by Jan Hoffman.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Pierneef View Post
    Hi
    Hope you guys can help !
    I have a 7x57 fullstock Mauser Oberndorf ser: 77823 , that has a interesting story behind it!
    So the problem is I would like to confirm the the story but i need some details on the rifle , ie model , year , owners and how many was made of the specific model.
    The story goes that this was one of 7 rifles that was made for the boer generals, in the war , this rifle got given to Pierneef( the painter} by the Governor of Transvaal , Pierneef gave it to his brother Cornelis Pierneef because he did not have a son ,Cornelis Pierneef gave it to his son , and his son was my Granddad.
    So that’s how I got the rifle.
    Buts its hard to prove if I don’t have more details on this Rifle.
    I hope there’s someone out there that can help
    Jaco Pierneef
    IMG_9035.jpg IMG_9036.jpgIMG_9037.jpgIMG_9041.jpg
    Jaco, see if this rifle has features like the Portugese Mauser magazine release hinge , features that normally will not be part of a normal Mauser of that time...this can be an indication that you have a "complimentary Mauser" these Mauser were always send with a batch Mausers ordered for the ZAR or OVS Boer fighters by their Governments.. the complimentary rifles consists of different Mauser parts of Type A/B Mausers that was put together to sweeten the deal on these consignment of Mausers..high ranking officers always received these Mausers... It might just be that this is some of the seven Mausers you told as about...complimentary Mausers...

User

It seems to be an "Original Mauser Magazine Sporting Carbine, type M, pattern no 270", as shown on p156 of "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles"by John Speed, et al. According to the serial number, date of manufacture would be 1913.

To my mind, a highly collectable rifle.

Hi Gert , good to here from you , how would a Portugese magazine release hinge look like , ?

I have looked at a lot of type M rifles and stile has not seen one with a ivory insert like this one , could this mean something!

Regards

Jaco

User

Jaco, I think Dirk has given you the correct answer...the Portugese Mauser magazine bottom metal hinge plate has a release pin inside the trigger guard ...when you push it , the magazine bottom metal opens up and the rounds falls out..
    As pointed out by Dirk, John Speed is the expert on Mauser history .
    Are you shooting /hunting with this rifle? It would be real history to hunt /shoot with this rifle...