Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ruger Gunsite scout feedback

With the rate and severity of farm attacks as well as the numbers in which the criminals work, I think a bolt gun would be a very bad choice for SD.

Shoot any multigun sport and see how long it takes a guy with a bolt gun to finish a COF

COF: 5 guys attack you with pangas. I dont see the guy with a bolt gun taking more than two of them out if they arent scared/high on tik

If it is just a 'bakkie gun' to shoot some vermin, cull a wounded animal etc then that would be fine.

Otherwise, get something decent that has quick follow up capability

There might be some literature about guys in the states like the minutemen praising the bolt gun as a good bug out/SD weapon but they usually dont see the number of attackers as we do here in SA, be that on farms or urban areas.

For defensive purposes, the .303 on an Enfield action provides similar features as the scout rifle, at a far smaller cost.

Turning an old .303 into a Scout Rifle is going to be pretty easy. And if you add a forward mounted scope it can even be used with stripper clips.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Problem also with bolt action and farm defense is. You might only realize the attack when guys already at your house. Then its not going to be the easiest defensive tool.

User

Ryan where are you located? I think best would be to take a scout rifle to the range and put it through its paces before you decide. I will volunteer for you to use mine if you are close.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    For defensive purposes, the .303 on an Enfield action provides similar features as the scout rifle, at a far smaller cost.

Turning an old .303 into a Scout Rifle is going to be pretty easy. And if you add a forward mounted scope it can even be used with stripper clips.
    This is good advise i dream about a 303 scout

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    This is good advise i dream about a 303 scout
    People have done it...

User

I would personally opt for a pcc conversion before a bolt for sd.

User

150% agree, a bolt gun isnt a good choice....on a farm i would go with a T56 underfolder, small size, lots of eina. My second choice would be an AR15.

As far as converting a 303....i like that a lot, but it will never be a "Scout" rifle as set out by Col Jeff Cooper.

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/0...ne-rifle-rule/

1. 1 meter or less in length
    2. Chambered in .308 Winchester (or at least uses the .308 as a parent case)
    3. short-action
    4. 18-20 inch barrel
    5. good trigger
    6. light weight (ideal was 3 kilos or 6.6 pounds with sights, scope, and sling; max was 7.5 pounds with sights, scope, and sling)

User

I have asked mr sheeprabbid to attach a pdf that I sent him,as it would tie in nicely with his post earlier on that Lee scout idea.

Hello All

Thanks for the great feedback on my question, Much appreciated. The LM was intended as a defensive weapon, I have had it for 20 years now, at the time I bought it I was drawing wages as cash and transporting it home, I also was able to grow cash crops which meant I had money on the farm.

Now days I pay by EFT and I cannot grow cash crops due to the theft! Thus the dangerous times when I expected an attack have been eliminated. Should I be attacked during the day, it will be very unlikely that I have my LM on me, it will be a handgun fight.

At night I will be in my home and thus able to get to my rifle, be it a LM or scout or anything else. looking at the Zim situation, when 100 invaders arrive at your perimeter fence and threaten to burn your house down with your family in it, you do not have the option to start shooting. Pack some clothes in your vehicle, grab the family and passports and hit the road. LM wont help here.

Thanks for suggestions on the pump action rifles, I have a Winchester 1300 shotgun and I just cant make friends with it, I prefer a semi or bolt. I looked at the vector pump action rifle when I was buying my LM, I chose the LM. Perhaps I need to look at that option again so thank you.

The rifle would always be used in conjunction with the handgun which is always with me. Truth be told the LM / AR is the correct rifle for the job but the licencing is such a hassle under section 14. Perhaps I should go the dedicated sport shooter route and then I can get a second handgun as well.

I spoke to VLT arms about the scout and I asked the chap who is buying these rifles as he had no stock, his reply was that the anti poaching companies are buying them. Bolt gun is ok when you are with 6 friends I suppose.

Gertjie87, thanks for the offer, I am in Northern KZN. Thanks again, I appreciate the gesture.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast