Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Some air cylinder & CZ 200S tuning advice

This part of the forum is really quiet but perhaps someone knowledgeable stumbles over it.

I have a CZ 200S which hardly sees use. The few shooting weekends I have goes to SADPA or my hunting rifles. Even if I go for a weekend on the family farm, the CZ hardly gets packed because the vehicle gets filled with stuff for the kids (cots, strollers, whathaveyou). Sure, I can pack the rifle alone but it's not much use if the dive cylinder isn't around.

There's the rub: I recently took my aluminium cylinder to a dive shop to fill. The gentleman there said that sure, he can fill my cylinder but because of its age, the inspections and whatnot will make my cylinder uneconomical going forward. Not sure what to make of it. He proposed a laminated carbon fibre cylinder (I think that's what it was) which is nice and light and will have 15 year lifespan with no inspection surprises. Good and all but will be a R6k investment to start running and I'm struggling to justify that.

First question then - opinions by those in the know on the paragraph above. Moving on from there, what other options are there for refilling my rifle's (tiny) cylinder? Compressors? Small CO2 paintball stuff? Will I die or curse myself using a hand pump?

If I spend money, is there an option that would allow me to fill the cylinder while still attached to the rifle? It would be nice as getting the cylinder off is a chore, the suppressor I have fitted limiting space for maneuvering the cylinder out. How often should I replace the little CZ 200S' cylinder? Any other useful mods for the CZ200S? Already have the suppressor and rotary magazine. The CZ200S is fine for my purposes so I'm not looking at spending money on another rifle but need to keep it running, my girls will be ready to try shooting in a year or so.

User

Default Re: Some air cylinder & CZ 200S tuning advice

I would take the cylinder for a second opinion. Diving cylinders have to go for inspection, but I cannot see that it would cost that much. Then it would be good for another 5 years. Unless it does not pass the inspection of course. Just an opinion. I own the same rifle and I love it. I do agree that if You don't own a cylinder is a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Alu cylinders has a much shorter life span then steel.

Hydro test on it should not be high.
    In CPT in Paarden Eiland at Executive Safety its like +- R 150 for a steel 12L Hydro and fill included.

How old is your alu bottle.

Otherwise Gumtree till you find a cheap Steel 12L 232bar. Now and again they pop up around 1500

User

Apparently my Alu cylinder dates from first half of the 80s...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    This part of the forum is really quiet but perhaps someone knowledgeable stumbles over it.

I have a CZ 200S which hardly sees use. The few shooting weekends I have goes to SADPA or my hunting rifles. Even if I go for a weekend on the family farm, the CZ hardly gets packed because the vehicle gets filled with stuff for the kids (cots, strollers, whathaveyou). Sure, I can pack the rifle alone but it's not much use if the dive cylinder isn't around.

There's the rub: I recently took my aluminium cylinder to a dive shop to fill. The gentleman there said that sure, he can fill my cylinder but because of its age, the inspections and whatnot will make my cylinder uneconomical going forward. Not sure what to make of it. He proposed a laminated carbon fibre cylinder (I think that's what it was) which is nice and light and will have 15 year lifespan with no inspection surprises. Good and all but will be a R6k investment to start running and I'm struggling to justify that.

First question then - opinions by those in the know on the paragraph above. Moving on from there, what other options are there for refilling my rifle's (tiny) cylinder? Compressors? Small CO2 paintball stuff? Will I die or curse myself using a hand pump?

If I spend money, is there an option that would allow me to fill the cylinder while still attached to the rifle? It would be nice as getting the cylinder off is a chore, the suppressor I have fitted limiting space for maneuvering the cylinder out. How often should I replace the little CZ 200S' cylinder? Any other useful mods for the CZ200S? Already have the suppressor and rotary magazine. The CZ200S is fine for my purposes so I'm not looking at spending money on another rifle but need to keep it running, my girls will be ready to try shooting in a year or so.
    As far as I know the cylinder needs to be hydrotested every 4 years. (This costs about R500.) In addition it needs a visual inspection every year. (About R200). While a little carbon fibre is smaller and lighter I don't think it justifies the cost. Because of the pressures involved I am not aware of any compressors to fill your rifle. A hand pump is a big no no in my opinion. By the time you get your rifle to any pressure near what you need you will have lost interest in shooting. The one that I had developed a leak after a few months which was costly to sort out.

I got a 1m adaptor off aliexpress.com which allowed me to shoot directly off the air tank once the pressure of the tank was below the rating of the air rifle. Search for fill station adaptors on the site.

User

Thanks

I understand an issue with my OLD tank is that metallurgical integrity starts playing a part. We're talking X-rays and stuff. The date and technology used at the time of manufacturing apparently also plays a part.

An old tank, weakened by metallurgical deterioration, bouncing around on the back of a bakkie can ruin your day. And you won't even get to tell your grandkids about it.

Gary.Must be in Boksburg that high. In CPT A visual which is yearly is +-R70 and Hydra test +-R150 with fill on a 12L 232 bar.
    180 on my 10L 300bars. As I just had 2 X 300bar 10L's done.

User

TTT, you don't have to buy a new tank. Go for a good 2nd hand one. Look at airrifle.co.za; as some come up for sale now and then there. It's the only option ... R6000 for a new tank is really not worth the money if you don't take it diving too. However, if you plan to SCUBA a bit now and then ...

And SCUBA shops might find you a good 2nd hand one too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Gary.Must be in Boksburg that high. In CPT A visual which is yearly is +-R70 and Hydra test +-R150 with fill on a 12L 232 bar.
    180 on my 10L 300bars. As I just had 2 X 300bar 10L's done.
    Diving isn't a big sport in Boksburg. I paid about R100 for a visual and R350 for a hydro test 3 or 4 years ago.

User

Firstly, I would find out what alloy your aluminum cylinder is. It is likely 6351 alloy if its from the 80's which makes it a little bit on the dodgy end. The newer 6061 alloy is a better choice as they do not suffer from sustained load cracking at the neck, which is why all 6351 alloy cylinders were recalled and only deemed good for service if they pass an annual eddy current (or visual plus) inspection.

In Cape Town you will have a hard time finding any test station to test cylinders that are over the age of 30 years. The risk involved is just too great. The practice is not the same up north, though. Its true that there is no law stating how old a cylinder needs to be for it to be condemned. This is due to Afrox and AirLiquide insisting to use tapered threads and not wanting to pay for new cylinders every few decades (the law used to be 20 years). From my experience in the testing industry, I would highly recommend a steel cylinder. They are lighter than Alu cylinders because the walls are much, much thinner and they are easier to carry around due to the neck design. I would only recommend a composite cylinder if you have a nearby test station that is certified in testing them, they have their own set of test requirements and parameters and most test stations are not keen on the upgrades as the returns are not worth it. We often had to turn away pissed off clients because we could not test or fill the cylinders anywhere in cape town. The other drawback is that the composite cylinders are only rated for 15 years of service. Where with a steel you could get double that or sell it when you're not into it anymore.

As for general info, cylinders need to be visually inspected every year and hydrostatically tested every 4 years. Is the cylinder passes these tests you can rest assured that it is safe to use. I would not use a cylinder that is older than 30 years on steel or 20 years on aluminum (unless its a 6061 and has passed the eddy test). The testing costs involved are not much to write home about. In cape town you wouldn't pay more than R200 for both visual and hydro.

In closing, my recommendation would be a 12L steel cylinder. They weigh the same as a 10.4L ally but have more volume. Composite cylinders are nice and light but Ive only ever seen them in 10L and they have a short lifespan. The larger air volume the better, dont fall for the 300 bar trick. 300 Bar cylinders are only up to 10L and a 12L 232 bar holds pretty much the same volume with less weight and much cheaper price. I would toss that ally and pick up a used, less than 15 year old 12L steel and call it a day. Shouldnt cost you more than R3000. Make sure its tested and all is in order.

Lastly, why not just get a nice springer or nitro piston gun? Saves you the headache of lugging cylinders around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast