Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 460 weatherby advice

Kruger National park rangers use Dzombo bullets, solid bullets, according to Dr. Kevin Robertson, this is the best bullets to use for dangerous game animals like elephants (solids) and buffalo ( soft first) ....

Ai guys, please, do not make the 460WM into a monster that it ain’t. The problem started with the 458WM that failed to reliably launch a 500Gr bullet from short barrels at a velocity in excess of 2100ft/s. Mannlicher Shonnauer is the only rifle manufacturer that I know off who bluntly refused to reduce the barrel length of their .458WM’s as they know that the rifle will then under perform.
    This perceived failure of the .458 WM resulted in numerous wildcats all with the aim of launching a 500Gr bullet at the magical 2150ft/s. Hence the .458Lott; .458Express; .450Watts etc. Etc.
    I do agree that a full factory load .460WM launching a 500Gr bullet at 2700ft/s is no pleasure to shoot in any ones language. However it is one of the easiest calibres that I reload for and obtaining 2500ft/s with the 500Gr bullet out of a 22” barrel is as easy as pie. Now you have a rifle that out perform any of the wildcats and that at idle speed. Although still heavy on the shoulder, it can be used standard, without muzzle break, mercury recoil reducer, etc. And should you feel like it, you can still down load it to 2200ft/s if the recoil is then still such that you find it hard to control, then maybe you are fighting in the wrong weight class and you should go where the punching is lighter.

User

Methinks the lady doth protest too much...

User

Quote Originally Posted by garycim View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback, especially the positive comments.
    He has settled on the Dzombo bullet pushed by 93 grains of Hodgdon. It does 2070 producing over 5000ftps of energy.
    Great to hear the young man decided to go that route. He can even up the muzzle velocity to 2150 -2200 ...as long as he enjoys shooting his rifle , it will be great when using it as a back up rifle..please ask him for feedback in the future when using his rifle more extensively Gary?
    Garry , I presume he is reloading ? Are these reloading components readily available?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarel JN View Post
    Ai guys, please, do not make the 460WM into a monster that it ain’t. The problem started with the 458WM that failed to reliably launch a 500Gr bullet from short barrels at a velocity in excess of 2100ft/s. Mannlicher Shonnauer is the only rifle manufacturer that I know off who bluntly refused to reduce the barrel length of their .458WM’s as they know that the rifle will then under perform.
    This perceived failure of the .458 WM resulted in numerous wildcats all with the aim of launching a 500Gr bullet at the magical 2150ft/s. Hence the .458Lott; .458Express; .450Watts etc. Etc.
    I do agree that a full factory load .460WM launching a 500Gr bullet at 2700ft/s is no pleasure to shoot in any ones language. However it is one of the easiest calibres that I reload for and obtaining 2500ft/s with the 500Gr bullet out of a 22” barrel is as easy as pie. Now you have a rifle that out perform any of the wildcats and that at idle speed. Although still heavy on the shoulder, it can be used standard, without muzzle break, mercury recoil reducer, etc. And should you feel like it, you can still down load it to 2200ft/s if the recoil is then still such that you find it hard to control, then maybe you are fighting in the wrong weight class and you should go where the punching is lighter.
    Most sensible comment on this thread.
    The 460 Wby is an excellent stopper,agreed the factory ammo is hot,but so are all Wby caliber factory ammo,they actually match claimed ballistics.
    So download a bit as recommended and it will still blow other mediocre calibers like 404 Jeffery out of the water.
    If you can shoot a 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery you can shoot a 460 Wby,I am not even referring to 577,600 and 700 Nitros.
    Enjoy your 460.

Funny that you want to call the 404 mediocre in a 460Weatherby thread... No one sensible would ever compare the two.... Apples with Apples...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DWB View Post
    Funny that you want to call the 404 mediocre in a 460Weatherby thread... No one sensible would ever compare the two.... Apples with Apples...
    Couldn't agree more with you!

Makes one think that the 404 is regarded so highly that even the guys in the 458 class consider it competition

User

Makes one think that the 404 is regarded so highly that even the guys in the 458 class consider it competition

Ha ha,knew I would get your attention there,hail the old trusty 404 !!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast