Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 460 weatherby advice

With S385 and 24 inch barrel using .458 , 600 , TMR LIONBd DG45828 bullet and COL of 95.25mm

MV=2100fps
    Chamber pressure = 49511 psi
    Case fill = 98.2%
    powder burn = 98.8%

With S365 and 24 inch barrel using .458 , 600 , TMR LIONBd DG45828 bullet and COL of 95.25mm

MV=2100fps
    Chamber pressure = 49000 psi
    Case fill = 94.7%
    powder burn = 100%

User

Look, if you cannot kill something with a 500gr swift A-Frame you are not in the killing business.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dale SH View Post
    With S385 and 24 inch barrel using .458 , 600 , TMR LIONBd DG45828 bullet and COL of 95.25mm

MV=2100fps
    Chamber pressure = 49511 psi
    Case fill = 98.2%
    powder burn = 98.8%

With S365 and 24 inch barrel using .458 , 600 , TMR LIONBd DG45828 bullet and COL of 95.25mm

MV=2100fps
    Chamber pressure = 49000 psi
    Case fill = 94.7%
    powder burn = 100%
    This looks real good>>>Heavy for caliber always makes good sense...49000 psi is the max pressure of my 8x57JS Mauser rifle...

User

Every time I think of a 460 Weatherby I chuckle at this video

User

Yes, it really is video material that gets your laughing going..but none of these people ever shot a rifle in their lives. No technique what so ever is evident..I think it would look less spectacular if a person who can handle a rifle shoot this big bore rifle in the video...

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Gary...sorry bud,i have been holding back and keeping my mouth shut on this thread,but i cannot anymore.

The best advice you can give that young man who is starting out on a career as field guide/PH is to get rid of that weatherby as fast as possible.

I really do not want to get into the pro"s and cons of DG rifles/calibers but i would be hard pressed to name one of the medium or large bores that are worse than the weatherby for a variety of reasons.

Haul that thing out at a gathering around a fire and notice the reactions....the newby"s will ooh and aah and want to fondle and stroke [still talking about the rifle].
    The old hands will glance at each other,raise their eyes to the heavens and suddenly remember that they need to be elsewhere.
    +1

i own several big bore rifles , I have fired a 460 WM , I can honestly say that it is the most uncomfortable rifle I have ever fired .

The 460 WM does have incredible stopping power and IMHO if it is owned is a rifle for an experienced PH backing up in DG hunts .

User

Yes, I concur...I have only heard extremely negative stories about the .460 Weatherby caliber rifle. I am sure, for a person that decided he want to use this rifle, shoots/hunt /back up with this caliber there are means to make it work for him..but that person needs to understand that it will be a personal relationship between him and his rifle, a dedicated scenario to enable him to learn to shoot that rifle above average...

It all starts with "fitting the rifle to his physic /body measurements" if you miss this step you miss all the steps..
    This heavy recoil rifle needs to fit the owner like a high grade shotgun..it needs to be at pointing accuracy....it needs to be an extension of his arm....that and only that will make it a practical , usable rifle....

There will be extensive changes done to the stock for the owner...then you start working on a load and learn to shoot a heavy for caliber bullet at 2100 f/s ..there is no dangerous game animal that will still stand when shot placement is perfect...gentleman..this is not what I am sucking from my thump..this is a tried and tested concept from an expert like Dr. Kevin Robinson: heavy for caliber bullet at 2100 f/s

User

All i read was muzzle brake....i cringed, flinched then wept a bit inside.

Run it at moderate velocity and it will serve its purpose. Run it near where it was designed and your young PH is going to suffer on his shooting ability with all other calibers.

User

All the factory original 460 Wby MkV rifles I have seen, came with an integral muzzle brake from their mother.

I would not try to shoot one again without a brake. Yes, I was foolish enough to try it once. It was a Brno ZKK602, reamed out to 460 Wby and I shot Wby factory ammo out of it.

Still struggling to get the flinch out of my system...

User

Thanks for all the feedback, especially the positive comments.
    He has settled on the Dzombo bullet pushed by 93 grains of Hodgdon. It does 2070 producing over 5000ftps of energy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast