Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Advice needed for zebra hunt

Hi, I have been invited for Zebrahunt. I only have 150gr PMP ProAmm, 168gr SP PMP and 165gr Sierra Gameking as my reloads.Which one will be best out of my 30-06 or should I look at loading 180gr. The issue is that if I do load a different load, I won't have time to chrony it. I feel the Sierra should work, its loaded with 54.5gr 365 running at just over 2700fps, is this weight sufficient to bring a Zebra down? Advice will be apreciated, many thanks

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Advice needed for zebra hunt

Zebra are rather tenacious, use a bullet that will be able to smash through heavy bone and keep going. At what distance are you looking to shoot?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Dieter...A zebra"s heart sits pretty far foreward and low down in the chest cavity.But,on a side on shot,there is no heavy bone to get in the way.

The Sierras would be my choice out of what you have available.

Try to avoid a shot with the zebra quartering towards you.

You will be fine.....google shot placement on zebra...it should show you what i mean.

User

Many thanks, distance about 150m, I get under moa grouping with Sierra on 100m, will shoot this then as opposed to pro amm, at least I know how they perform iro accuracy, speed and recoil

User

There is a little natural triangle formed on the lower shoulder/front leg by the stripes. Center your cross hairs there. Good luck you are not under gunned. Hunt with confidence and enjoy.

User

I have shot zebra's before with 150gr ProAmm's out of my 30-06. It worked, but I will not reccomned it at all. You neee to be very carefull and selective with shot placement. Gamekings will be a better choice !

User

Thanks, Gameking it will be, have a great week

User

What Gameking are you guys talking about?

User

Hi Messor....I did not ask that question because i thought that either the HPBT or the SPBT [spitzer] would be a better choice than the PMP.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Hi Messor....I did not ask that question because i thought that either the HPBT or the SPBT [spitzer] would be a better choice than the PMP.
    I’ve used both, the SPBT is a normal cup and core that holds up remarkably well.
    But the HPBT, now that is something else, it’s a much harder bullet than the other, it’s the “premium” bullet among standards. Recently a lot of pigs took angled shots with those, and they pass through, hell I’ve recovered more bonded bullets than those.

But back to the OP, remember for a once off hunt you don’t need to work up a load with chronies and nonsense. I would really not feel under gunned if I bought a box of 180gr PMP Pro-Amm in the old six, it’s the exact dual core design as a partition, PMP loads it slow and it’s cheap compare to what you are shooting.

So don’t just look at what you have in terms of reloading.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast