Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting Rifle on a Shoestring budget

It seems the OP wants to do a project.
    That's cool, but one must be clear about it, otherwise opinions will stray too far.

User

I saw a beautiful rifle once and have always wanted one like it. It was a Martini action that Musgrave had reworked. It had a short .303 Musgrave barrel, open sights and a beautiful walnut full length stock, fine checkering and sleek steel cap at the muzzle. Maybe you can consider a Martini action? They can probably be had for cheap. On the other hand, I have seen quite a few No4 Lee Enfields with very good barrels. My own Lee Enfield could shoot 25mm groupings at 100m all day (scoped and barrel was fully bedded)

Banned

Arrow Re: Hunting Rifle on a Shoestring budget

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    If you really want a K98 you can buy one of the Yugos or Israilis for abour R5k, but then you still need at least R15k to complete the project.
    I have been advised to stay away from the Yugos and rather look at the Czech's ( as far as Military surplus Mausers are concerned )
    Would prefer a proper original German

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    On the other hand, I have seen quite a few No4 Lee Enfields with very good barrels. My own Lee Enfield could shoot 25mm groupings at 100m all day (scoped and barrel was fully bedded)
    Sure --
    I appreciate all the good advice [go modern] but it seems we have a few lucky [spoilt ?] shooters / hunters here that look down on these old warhorses ......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    I saw a beautiful rifle once and have always wanted one like it. It was a Martini action that Musgrave had reworked. It had a short .303 Musgrave barrel, open sights and a beautiful walnut full length stock, fine checkering and sleek steel cap at the muzzle.
    I have handled an original Martini-Enfield falling block single shot .303 ( I love these old rifles with lots of history )
    Have to be a very good hunter with one of those -- only one shot to make sure of !

I agree with the posts above, go and buy the Howa in the caliber of your choice.
    Enjoy a good rifle out of the box and start saving for a custom stock, next a better scope and so on.....
    The big advantage the Howa will have is that all the aftermarket stuff will still be in demand later on if it needs to be sold.
    At least try to get a proper foundation for the project, the P14 action will never be a good foundation.
    I know how you feel in wanting something unique, but do yourself a favor and skip the building part (metal work/license stuff) and get something decent of the shelf ad go from there.
    A good looking stock will already make a huge difference in the overall look of the rifle.
    Just my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

My hunting rifle is a .303 that I picked up dirt cheap. Had an ATI synthetic stock fitted and shortened to fit me, suppressor fitted, Lynx mount with a Redfield scope on it. Barrel and action was in very good nick. After some load development I manage very decent groupings with it. It is no beauty, but makes a good, accurate enough working gun.

I did not set out to build a custom rifle, I only wanted an accurate, safe usable rifle and that is what I have. Would I go the same route again if I had to do it all over? With some of the package deals I have seen on Howa's, maybe not.

User

Take the advice above. Buy a Howa or even second hand.

When I was young and stupid (now I'm just stupid), I had a rifle built. Thought it was going to be cheaper and my dad knew many a good gunsmith.
    I ignored advice. Bought a K98 Mauser action, even got a barrel for free from my dad.
    In the end the rifle probably cost me double the price of a new one.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Sure -- I appreciate all the good advice [go modern] but it seems we have a few lucky [spoilt ?] shooters / hunters here that look down on these old warhorses ......
    The disparaging comments dry up when said hunters see the grouping from the Majuba kettie!

User

Brenneke...I think you are reading good advice for something totally different.I do not think anyone is looking down their noses at the old 303"s.You will find that many of us cut our teeth so to speak on these old warhorses and i for one,have a healthy respect for the caliber.My favourite rifle [out of 17 FA"S] is an old 1896 6.5x55 built on an old millitary K96 action that i have re-stocked and re-barrelled.

Further to that i have had 2 rifles custom built on old german k98 actions,one a very special 458 and the second,a bull barrelled 7mm08.

Been there done that.

You asked for a cost effective start up hunting rifle and now you do not like what you are hearing.

I do however understand where you are coming from.Again,get yourself a Howa and use it.THEN,take your time,source an action [not from a 303] from there you have many options as far as barrels and stocks are concerned.This process can take well over 2 years.

Just remember..custom and cost effective do not belong in the same sentence.In the meantime you have a perfectly servicable rifle and,by extended use,this will also give you a better idea of what features you may or may not want in your custom rifle.

I also do not like being referred to as lucky or spoilt as i am neither.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast