Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Brenneke...I think you are reading good advice for something totally different.I do not think anyone is looking down their noses at the old 303"s.You will find that many of us cut our teeth so to speak on these old warhorses and i for one,have a healthy respect for the caliber.My favourite rifle [out of 17 FA"S] is an old 1896 6.5x55 built on an old millitary K96 action that i have re-stocked and re-barrelled.

Further to that i have had 2 rifles custom built on old german k98 actions,one a very special 458 and the second,a bull barrelled 7mm08.

Been there done that.

You asked for a cost effective start up hunting rifle and now you do not like what you are hearing.

I do however understand where you are coming from.Again,get yourself a Howa and use it.THEN,take your time,source an action [not from a 303] from there you have many options as far as barrels and stocks are concerned.This process can take well over 2 years.

Just remember..custom and cost effective do not belong in the same sentence.In the meantime you have a perfectly servicable rifle and,by extended use,this will also give you a better idea of what features you may or may not want in your custom rifle.

I also do not like being referred to as lucky or spoilt as i am neither.
    +1

User

Default Re: Hunting Rifle on a Shoestring budget

If someone can post a 5 shot group from a .303 that measures 25 mm and under , at 100 m, I 'll buy you some beers.

Banned

Arrow Re: Hunting Rifle on a Shoestring budget

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    At least try to get a proper foundation for the project, the P14 action will never be a good foundation.
    Thanks
    Appreciate the info
    IF a P14 is not good enough what do you suggest ?
    Which Mauser action and from where ? ( milsurplus )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    The disparaging comments dry up when said hunters see the grouping from the Majuba kettie!
    Here is a nice one -- just need to modify that magazine to hid it.

NO idea how it shoots ?
    I think it might bring down an impala ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?148291-Classy-SMLE-Mannlicher-conversion&

The old rifles be it mauser or lee enfield are interesting from a historical perspective but a pain in the rear when it comes to bedding and scope mounting.The surfaces vary from rifle to rifle which likely means scope mounts have to be shimmed/machined. Also the action has quite a bit of flex and you need to get bedding action screws right. Ruined a scope on a mauser before I knew better what to look for. We have an affinity for the lee enfield here because of our history but it was outdated and a rough design even by the second world war.An older brno 602-action rifle or likes would be a far more solid place to start if you could find one for the right price. At least you then have a better base to start with.

Banned

Just remember..custom and cost effective do not belong in the same sentence.In the meantime you have a perfectly servicable rifle and,by extended use,this will also give you a better idea of what features you may or may not want in your custom rifle.
    I also do not like being referred to as lucky or spoilt as i am neither.
    Apologies -- I am sure those that are lucky and / or spoilt are in the minority here.

I do have very well developed ideas of what I like / would like. Of course these may be completely unrealistic in the real World.
    I do however think that I do not need to purchase a rifle to confirm these when it is possible to have a look at and check all the many different types of rifles of all the guys on the firing line.
    WITH PERMISSION

User

Brenneke...Apology accepted..all good.

What may be an option to you is what is referred to as as israeli mauser.

A hell of a lot of these rifles [often with FN 7.62 on the receiver] were re-barrelled from 7.92 ex german millitary to 308 and found their way into the country.They are built on the k98 action with a stepped barrel but a very basic stock.

You should be able to pick one up in good nick for between 4 and 5k.This would give you an excellent basis for a custom rifle and can also be used as is untill you had the required funds to use the action in a custom project.

Banned

What may be an option to you is what is referred to as as israeli mauser.
    A hell of a lot of these rifles [often with FN 7.62 on the receiver] were re-barrelled from 7.92 ex german millitary to 308 and found their way into the country.They are built on the k98 action with a stepped barrel but a very basic stock.
    You should be able to pick one up in good nick for between 4 and 5k.This would give you an excellent basis for a custom rifle and can also be used as is untill you had the required funds to use the action in a custom project.
    Thanks
    I have read about these
    I do however believe that they are the Yugo Mausers which apparently do have some or other problem ?
    The Israelis are not too well known for giving away "bargains"
    Do you know or can confirm the PROVENANCE of these rifles ? ( serial numbers exact details ? )

User

Been there done that got the T-shirt. " Sporterizing" a No 4 Mk 1 303. looked like a good idea at the time! Despite advise from an "old hand" Later got a Musgrave K98 in .308 Win. Believe me it is like chalk and cheese. Locktime,trigger and general handling.

If I had to start over now? after about 24 years of Gunolism Or advise someone? I would say one word HOWA. Good value for money and accurate.

User

An advantage of going this route is that you could over time do mods at your leisure and one at a time if you so wish.

Eg.....timney or Thor trigger....3 way safety...re profile barrel or new barrel in a different or same caliber...new stock...ect.

At the end of the day you would have what you are looking for and still have use of the rifle as the mods progress.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast