Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default And so it begins

After speaking to the Swambo about having a FA for home defense, I suggested that we go to a range to see what it's actually like to hold and shoot a pistol.
    We both went and shot -+ 25 Rounds out of a G19 , with the supervision of a RO, after some basic FA handling and safety lessons. The first shot took me a little by surprise, but each subsequent shot was much easier and my initial fear is now out the window. I will admit that by the end of the session, I had a massive adrenaline dump and my hands were rattling , but for a first experience I believe it went well.

The Swambo had a huge fright after the first shot, and i thought that this would be the end of the road, but the instructor that we had was supportive and suggested that she fire one more round, and if then she is still not comfortable, that she should just tell him and he would take the pistol out of her hand and that he won't force her to carry on.
    After a few seconds, she fired the second round and her initial fear was gone. Afterwards, she had no issues with with firing shots.
    She has since asked about every second or third day when we are going to the range again!

I had the day off yesterday for a medical appointment, so decided to go a range on the way to my appointment.
    I decided to try out a Beretta 92 and a CZ 75.

I didn't perform well with the Beretta, I did not like the sights on the firearm and the overall feel, I'm not sure if this is because this particular gun was abused or inaccurate, or if it just doesn't suit me?

The CZ felt really good and i had really good groupings. I liked the feel and the recoil of this particular FA. I also got the sights lined up easier and quicker than both the G19 and the Beretta 92.

This has sort or changed my view on getting a G19, as this is what i imagined I would want, but after the CZ, I think i need to try a few more different FA models to see and compare and then make a decision.

I want something primarily for HD, that myself or Swambo can grab when something goes bump in the night and sets off our alarm system.
    What i like about the Glock is that there is an OEM 33 round mag that you can load and have enough rounds without having to worry about a reload.

I cant seem to find definite information on CZ as i can with Glock. It appears that there is an OEM 26 round Mag for a CZ 75 B, but i cant confirm if this would fit and work without modding, and work reliability in a CZ 75 compact, PCR or P07.

Again, I want to try out a few more different models , but this has made me realize that is a lot more to consider than just the first thing the sales man says.

I have spoken to a fellow gunsite member and he has given me some advice as well.

In the end, I think it's time for myself and the missus to start competency training and worry about the exact model that would best suit our HD needs a bit later.
    Last edited by zguy; 14-07-2017 at 11:09. Reason: I apparently cannot spell lol

Default Re: And so it begins

If you like the CZ. Then as you mention.
    Try to get to shoot a P01 or CZ75 Compact also. Getting to shoot a P01 might be tricky.
    As they seem to be rare to find in shops.

Somehow Personally I shoot the P01 better then the full size 75. I even shoot it better and acquire targets on range much quicker with p01 then I did with the Shadow I owned. I ended up selling the Shadow.

User

I like the P01 more that I like my 75, and that is saying a lot :)

User

zguy, don't discount the Glock because of the stock sights. A very large portion of users here with Glock have aftermarket sights fitted. My three Glocks have three different setups, one with tritium night sight and the other two with fibre optic front sights. It makes a big difference on the Glock. A forum regular working for the local Glock agent calls the stock Glock sights "slot fillers".

A heavier gun is likely to be easier for a newbie because it should dampen the recoil more. Just be aware that a heavier gun sucks for a variety of reasons too, nothing in life is not a trade-off. A big trad-off for a heavy gun is that it will be less pleasant when carried. I know you said for home defence only but you should really, really relook that. Even if you stick to just home defence, that gun in the safe or on the coffee table over yonder may for all practical purposes be on the moon if your door gets bashed in by bad guys while you're lounging in front of the TV.

User

Hi Zguy.

Good on both of you for thinking ahead and giving things a try. There's a lot of information to get through but its worth it.

Check out this article for a good primer in SA context: http://gunservant.com/2016/05/31/cho...ensive-handgun

Get your competency training done quickly, that will give you time while you wait for more shooting and reading before you choose firearms.

Be aware that in terms of the FCA, only you may have access to a safe in which your firearm is stored unless your wife applies for a dual licence on the same firearm. That can be an okay temporary measure but her own one is a better option when funds allow it, one that suits her requirements which may include carry. Don't discount that use yet when shopping, unfortunately many violent home invasions here are not the 'bump in the night' type but are initiated in the driveway when interior doors and gates are unlocked, because that is when people are most vulnerable.

Your profile does not have location, but I'm sure members here can recommend good instructors for both competency, advice and further training

Regards
    SLR

User

I'll check if i can find a P01 and a PCR at a range.
    My mate also suggested i try a M&P.

I must admit, the Shadow 2 looks amazing. CZ makes purdy looking FA's.

I think exposure to different models with help me understand what it is that is suitable for my needs, but in the three that i have tried, i prefer the CZ, but will gladly try a Glock again. Im also keen on trying a PX4 as well, I'm not going to write off Beretta because of the 92 experience

User

1) Decide if you want to buy the Glock 19 or the CZ P07

2) Buy two, one for your wife and one for you

3) Buy a decent holster, ammo, spare magazines and go for proper training

4) Make the decision to carry your gun with you

5) Save up for the purchases of other firearms to come

User

Welcome zguy, the road ahead is a long one, but very worthwhile in the end. Maybe first steps even before finally deciding on which firearms you will be purchasing, is to get the competencies done. This alone can take up to 3 months by the time you get them approved etc from CFR. Try and get your missus and yourself booked in and to do them ASAP, also I would (funds providing) get ALL the competencies for handgun, shotgun, rifle and self loading rifle done at the same time. This will allow both of you not to worry if you ever decide to purchase additional firearms in the future. Once you know the competencies are approved, then the purchasing and license applications process can proceed.

User

My plan is for a dual licence to make sure legally everything is above board.
    I have heard people saying this is an impossible task, to others saying its just an extra piece of paper and its not a major deal. How much of this is based on fact or 'my friend told me at a braai', I will find out.

I know that attacks in the driveway are common, and that breeches can happen quickly. This is also something that needs consideration as well.

With regards to the Missus, the type of work she does, means that A LOT of the time, carry will not be practical or safe for her. She works in the medical field and has to work with patients and in operating theaters occasionally. In these cases, there is simply no way this can be achieved, meaning that a safe in the car would be required, opening another possible tricky situation. This is not ideal i understand, but this means that we need to work on other areas of security to help mitigate this risk.

i will update my location, but i am based in PTA East.

So far all the responses are helpful and motivating, so thank you

Hi zguy and welcome to 'the family'.
    Be warned though ... membership does become somewhat addictive.
    I started out with one firearm and now have, well, lets just say, 'one or two ' more
    Regards.
    Keith.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast