Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Monate : Father and son hunt 2017

Good day to all members. I would like to share our recent hunt with you all. This was a father and son hunt at Monate Game farm. The farm is situated adjacent a old tin mine town , Rooiberg.
    The whole area is a conservation area .Ruan , my son and me were invited by Tom Sephton a good friend. His son Tom , currently studying in the Nederlands joined us for this hunt as well as his son in law , Dewald.We arrived the Monday around 13h00 at the gates of Monate Farm.

After settling in and off-loading our luggage we drive out to the shooting range where we met Eric, the manager . Eric need to make sure we are able to shoot accurate at 100 meters at least. Everyone got a an opportunity to zero his rifle. After we zeroed our rifles , Eric gave every one a practical stress fire test to perform . This was to show how huge difference it makes when walking /running and then shoot at a target .
    Eric , explaining what he expected from us while we hunt , explaining which group of animals /game we are allowed to hunt. He did explain what role /capacity the guide have in guiding us , they are not ph`s and the hunter still needs to make a decision whether to shoot or not to shoot.

Our target at 100 meters:

Tom ( jnr.) was first to shoot, he used a .270 Musgrave .

Making adjustments:

Next was Tom (snr.) using the .270 Musgrave s well, they both shoot this rifle extremely accurate.

Dewald was next, using a .30-06 Blaser which he really shoots accurately.

Ruan was next, using my 8x57JS Mauser .

Doing some adjustments since he is using new bullets, 220 gn Stewart core-bonded bullets.

I had my turn as well..
    My 404 Jeffery using 350gn Steward core-bonded bullets this time.

A little bit to the left it seems...

I made some adjustments and was ready to go...
    Eric was satisfied that we will be able to do good shot placement. He then commenced with a practical shooting test to see how we will perform under stress fire situation in the veld. We had to get onto the sticks, adjust it to fit our shooting stance. Run towards the target for fifty meters as fast as possible, run back, put the rifle in position on the sticks , shoot within ten counts....

When doing this exercise we all seem to group low at seven o`clock , so we pulled the rifle when out of breath and your hart rate is sky high...
    Eric counting to keep the pressure on....

Tom (snr) and me were the only ones who shot near the centre of the target..maybe it has something to do with age???
    The young ones running....

The old ones still doing it in style;

Coming in at an angle , a composed posture.

We all were satisfied that we will be able to do proper shot placement while hunting.
    That evening we spend around the fire, having a nice time conversing /discussing everything about rifles and hunting, shot placement , types of bullets and the game we were to hunt.

Tom is responsible for the first round of preparing supper, every father and son took turns to prepare brunch and supper.

That was the first evening ...

User

Default Re: Monate : Father and son hunt 2017

The first morning of hunting. Eric and his two trackers/guides, Elias and Cowboy arrived at 7:30 . Two hunters per guide, Tom (snr/jnr) will hunt in the mountain part of the farm..Ruan and me will hunt in the bottom part where it will be easier to walk. Due to the past rains the veld is extremely dense and will definitely be difficult to hunt ...
    Father and son:
    Father and son, he is starting to outgrow his father..

Some giraffe :

The bush really was extremely dense:

Nyala ewe , extremely tamed and expensive;

Beautiful trees along the route;

Eric is currently busy with thinning out the invasive Sekelbush...

The first day of hunting we walked thirteen kilometers the whole day. We did have opportunities to shoot at blue wildebees and impala but the dense bush made me decided not to take the shot.
    At one stage Ruan had a clear shot at an impala ewe but was not comfortable shooting of the sticks since he did not manage to stabilise the rifle to take the shot. The guide told Ruan to shoot, Ruan disagree since he did not feel comfortable to shoot. I told the guide it is Ruan`s decision to take...lesson learned, Ruan stood his ground and told the guide he is not going to shoot and we moved on..

After a long walk we returned to the lodge.
    No game was shot on the first day of our hunt

User

Day four of the hunt:
    It was both Tom (snr) and Ruan the Thursday. The family made a great day of the two birthday boys..

The guide Cowboy and me commenced hunting early the morning, Tom( snr) and Ruan stayed at home, Tom to spend time with his family, grand children and Ruan to sleep late since it is his birthday and I made him some hot chocolate to enjoy when I left for another round of hunting...
    We decided to kept moving through the dense bush to see if we can stalk some impala.
    An old tree;

Nyala bull in the dense scrubs ...

Nyala ewe standing and pose for a photo:

We managed to track some Impala , we followed them for a while but they did not give us an opportunity to shoot . Cowboy decided to leave this group and search for another likely group usually around the river bed and ravine bush . We moved down to the ravine , and saw two impala ewes grazing....the stalk was on..I managed to get in position about seventy five meters from the two ewes. Placing the cross hairs on the rib cage , just behind the elbow I squeezed the trigger ever so slowly again..through the scope I saw the impala ewe fell down as if hit by a huge mallet..I immediately re-load ready to take the second ewe..unfortunately the ewe I shot kicked the other ewe standing next to her and before I could squeeze the trigger again she bolted...

Exit wound:

Cowboy posing for his photo:

I returned to the lodge for a brunch. Ruan went out with Cowboy again, had some opportunities again but the dense bush did not allow for safe shots. That evening we celebrate the birthdays of Tom and Ruan. Dewald and Tom ( jnr) did managed to shoot both two excellent Impala rams . Dewald shot a big blue wildebeest as well..unfortunately I did not have photos of these animals .
    The next day was the last day to hunt. I did give Ruan the opportunity to go out early with Tom ( jnr) and the other guide Elias, the old man who know the farm like the back of his hand. Eric arrived with the tracker , Tom ( jnr) and Ruan climbed aboard and drive off . I was busy getting all the meat containers and knives together to drive to the skinning shed when Ruan walked in and said he forgot the camera. They drive off again...I was busy reversing the vehicle from the garage when the Land-cruiser drove up to the lodge again, this time I said to Tom (snr) " I wonder what Ruan forgot this time, maybe his hunting knife????"
    Walking to the Land cruiser , Ruan walked up to me and said" I am finished , it took me three minutes after we stopped and climbed of the Land cruiser , Elias saw Impala standing in the adjacent bush , set up the sticks , called Ruan over , told him to put the 8 x 57 JS onto the sticks, point out the ewe standing broadside and told him to shoot...he did just that...this was the shortest time ever an animal was shot on this farm...
    The Impala ewe hit hard by the 220 gn Steward core-bonded bullet ...

This completed our hunt, we left the following morning , taking a few kilograms of venison back home...everybody was smiling

User

Something interesting:
    Here is something extremely interesting regarding an Impala.

This is a photo of the inside part of the mouth of an Impala. Please take a look at the small sharp white tooth, the last tooth at the back of the line of teeth...this is a grooming tooth , it is very soft, elastic in movement..this tooth is use to groom itself ...Impala`s hair is box shaped and overlap/interlock it self`s . Few people know this and have never seen this tooth..

Members, I hope you enjoyed this report...

User

Lovely write up as usual Gert! One thing I noticed with your 404 is there a bit of rust near the bolt area and the mounts or is it just the photo?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

dsmerrils , it may be some rust, I did clean it when returning home.. But is still shoot incredible accurately...

User

Members, due to a photo we had to remove I need to upload a part of the hunt again. This part is where I shot the blue wildebees cow.
    Wednesday:
    We are back in the veld, early morning , this time Ruan decided to stay . The guide and me start another long walk that will take us eleven kilometers through he bush and along some of the roads ....
    We were fortunate to locate the impala herd early the morning. We followed them , looking for an opportunity to shoot but they kept on walking , moving . We walked into a huge eland cow and two calves, admiring them for a long time , giving the impala some time to calm down.
    .I moved into position to get the sun behind me for a clear photo..the guide suddenly went down on his knees, crouching it was blue wildebees ...

Up comes the sticks while the blue wildebees cow gave me a good opportunity to find a shot placement just behind her elbow...squeezing the trigger ever so gently I watched through the scope as she dropped like a ton of bricks. The guide shouting, "she is down, she is down"
    I did frown while looking at him, asking him what did he expected other than her going down????
    The blue wildebees cow dropped like a ton of bricks, here is the excite wound..

Cowboy, the guide posing for a good photo:

I did slit it`s throat but no blood were coming out..all the blood was gathering inside the chest cavity due to excessive haemorrhaging...while skinning the cow , I noticed a huge hole through the ribs and shoulder blade...not a lot of damaged meat at all...as pointed out I used 350 gn Stewards core-bonded bullets ..no recovery of the bullet, pass through ....
    We called it in and the recovery team fetched the cow to be skinned.

We continue to look for another opportunity, another blue wildebees or Impala will fit the bill. We did not succeed and returned at twelve o`clock to the lodge for brunch. I then stayed for the afternoon shift , cleaning the 404 Jeffery, while Ruan went with Cowboy. They did not shoot anything as well as the other hunters.
    That was day two of the hunt , the Wednesday.
    That evening it was Raun and my turn to make supper and we had made brunch as well...

Tom and Ruan around the fire:

Tom( jnr.) attending the braai:

User

A few more photos:

User

I really enjoyed reading this and great photos Gert

User

Nice write up Gert!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast