Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vosburg hunt

User

Default Vosburg hunt

I got back yesterday after a short, but successful, trip. Our little group got two gemsbok and a few springbokkies. Most of them in very good condition. I wanted six and managed to do so (mostly on the last day). I'm posting a picture of my voorsit spot ...

User

Default Re: Vosburg hunt

Nope! Photobucket hates the world so much that it is trying to commit suicide!

User

I tried again, with Imgur.

User

Funny how paths can almost cross and we'll never known it. Was on a Springbok voorsit about 40km south of Vosburg on Wednesday.

Congrats on getting what you went for.

User

Pirate, we were really close then. The farm I was on is half-way between Vosburg and Carnarvon. We started hunting on Thursday afternoon.

Context to the picture:

The action is open as I had taken some music along and was at full cry minutes before, doing my rendition of Does your mother know by Abba. No bokkie will be seen in that spot again.

User

Hell, I stayed in Carnarvon with friends from Tuesday until yesterday. Spent the whole of today packaging a Black-W-beest into bite-sized bits in my freezer

User

Proudprado, photobucket seized to exist , I am using Imgur, it works...I just wonder when they too is going to do the same as photo bucket...
    I would like to see photos of your hunt and a nice story as well will be a bonus...

User

Gert, it is so difficult to put the experience into words. I'm not even going to try. I think the picture up top already says more than I can write about the Karoo. The veld is beautiful. The bokkies are really fat. The company was amazing.

Every time I go, I think, "shit, what the hell am I doing in the big city?". Then I hand my pocket knife to Hennie (the guide) at the end of the stay. That appreciation of something from the outside is something I would not be able to give if I lived on a farm.

After all the meat has been packed in the trailer and the Volkswagen syncro had been jump started and we are on our way and the ice rain puts a different perspective on the kudus half-way to the tar road ... we are not allowed to shoot at them, but that's OK too ... the Karoo is something that stays with me throughout the year or two that I have to wait before I get back. Freshly baked bread, kaasworsies from a previous hunt on the braai and everyone saying they now need to shoot a vlakvark too. The hour-long discussion on the difference between Klipdrift and KWV. I can touch on all of that and tell you about 20kg dry droewors that got thrown away on the way to Loxton after a bit of confusion around which bag the guts was in. But it really makes no difference. You have to go there and experience it yourself.

Hunting is a bit like a religious experience to me. Reloading, practicing beforehand, the drive there, the wait, the adrenaline ... even when others are shooting ... then shooting a few shots, worrying about if you are going to get what you want/need, sharing everything with your child, the food, the old farm house and the stories around the fire. Seeing an aardwolf and an aardvark for the first time. Ammo that is not quite right, because of bad neck tension. 180g PMP soft points vs 150g Hornady Interlocks. And then a 300m shot that hits the neck of a beautiful 36kg ram. I can tell you about it, but it's not even close to what happened. It's not even close to what I remember when I mince the off cuts this afternoon.

I have not touched on city children that walk around with an air rifle all day. For the first time trusted with something that I did every weekend since I was four until the age they are now. Wishing to own one. And suddenly talking about little else during the nine-hour drive home. An experience that could and probably should change their lives forever.

It all ads up to something that words don't, and can never do, justice. Here is another picture. I'm the idiot in the background with the Gunsite shirt and the guitar. The child I was talking about is sitting with the HW97K ... going through at least 500 pellets:

Again, it may give you some idea, but it's not even close to what I experienced. This emoticon does more justice to the experience than my words or any picture ever could.

User

Excellent, excellent , Proudprado... it seems to be a great hunt , as you say words can not describe all that happen. As long as it was something you and everyone enjoyed it , that is all that really matters. The hunt Raun and I did last week was something great...this really was the first time we hunt where we walked the whole day looking for tracks and lone animals standing on it`s one , they usually are the one`s with a lot of meat on them....
    I have never done a "Voorsit jag" I think it is something I need to take Raun to do next year..If you have contact details in this regards I really would appreciate it if you would pm me ..
    Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated...

User

Thanks for sharing. For that area what load would you recommend for the 308, seeing that you had two different loads?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast