Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Ban on knives being delivered to shoppers' doors proposed by UK Government

Ha ha. Lucky she was. Contrary to popular belief though, lemons are freely available - and without a licence. :)

Default Re: Ban on knives being delivered to shoppers' doors proposed by UK Government

The Uk is absurd

Butter knife 'an offensive weapon'

By Duncan Gardham

12:01AM BST 14 Apr 2005

A butter knife can be an offensive weapon, the High Court ruled yesterday.

The decision came in the rejection of an appeal by Charlie Brooker, of Welling, Kent, who had been convicted under the Criminal Justice Act of carrying a bladed instrument.

Mark Hardie, appearing for Brooker, argued that the knife had no handle, sharp edges or points and therefore could not fall foul of a law intended to protect people from dangerous weapons.

But Lord Justice Laws, sitting with Mr Justice David Steel, disagreed. He said: "I would accept that a sharp or pointed blade was the paradigm case - however the words of the statute are unqualified and refer to any article that has a blade."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ve-weapon.html

Carrying a Swiss Army knife could land in court

MAKERS of the Swiss Army knife have warned owners that they risk prosecution if they are found carrying one.

By EMMA ROWLEY
    PUBLISHED: 00:00, Sat, Apr 24, 2010

The distinctive knives have been an essential tool for generations []
    It follows a case in Britain of a man hauled before a court for keeping a penknife in his car.
    –– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Generations of people, including campers, sailors, ramblers and farmers, have used the small, practical knives since they were introduced in the 19th century.

GENERAL ELECTION 2010: GET THE LATEST NEWS AND ANALYSIS HERE...
    But manufacturer Wenger warned yesterday that anyone found carrying one could be prosecuted.
    The company spoke out after retired engineer Rodney Knowles, 61, found himself with a criminal record for having a Swiss Army-style knife in his car’s glove compartment.
    Following legal advice, Mr Knowles admitted possessing an offensive weapon. But he condemned the law as “stupid”.
    Wenger, which has supplied knives to the Swiss Army since the late 1800s, has now warned that anyone carrying a fixed-blade knife in public needs to have a good reason.
    Spokesman Garry Woodhouse said: “Some of our knives have a locking blade and the law requires you to have a good reason for carrying one, be it work or an outdoor pursuit.
    “We live in troubled times where there is a serious problem in some of our towns and cities with youths illegally carrying knives for personal defence or to get respect.
    “But it’s important to remember that knives are still an absolutely vital object that almost everyone uses every day, whether in the kitchen, at the dinner table, at work or during outdoor activities. We would say to our customers who have these products to consider when and where they are carrying it and if they really need to have it in their pocket.”
    He added: “People should be aware that, strange as it may seem, your car is still defined as a public place if parked on a public street.”
    Mr Knowles, a grandfather-of-four from Newton Abbot, Devon, was charged after police stopped him in his car in February. The keen caravanner used the multi-function knife for picnics during camping trips in the countryside with his wife.
    Police discovered it alongside a torch, maps and a first aid kit when they searched Mr Knowles’s car after he had passed a roadside breath test.
    The full-time carer assured officers he used it on holidays and to cut up fruit for his wife Pat, 64, who suffers from Huntington’s disease.
    He was given a conditional discharge and ordered to pay £40 costs by magistrates at Torquay, Devon, who also confiscated the knife.
    Speaking after the hearing, Mr Knowles said: “It’s a stupid law.
    “The tool was in my glove box in a pouch along with a torch, first aid kit and waterproofs.” He added: “Now I have a criminal record for the first time in my life.”
    Devon and Cornwall police said officers had concerns there was a “potential danger”.
    The case marked another blow for the trusty penknife, coming in the wake of advice to Scouts that they should not take them on camping trips because of fears of an epidemic in knife crime.
    The Swiss Army knife was invented in the 1800s and quickly became indispensable to Switzerland’s military forces.
    Wenger has been owned by Victorinox since 2005. The company produces 50,000 knives a day.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/171...-land-in-court

User

On my last trip to the UK I carried my then 3yo son on my shoulders with him holding my head and me holding his legs. This was the best way to carry him as he could see everything and nobody trampled him. He was so comfortable that he would fall asleep on my head and I would slip him down and bear hug carry him. Not once, but twice we were stopped by police in London and told "For your safety and ours, please don't carry you child like that" HAHAHAHA.
    That place has gone to the dogs. Only the strong will survive. The weak will have no means to protect themselves and be consumed by the dogs.

RIP UK

Zoo Keeper. The UK knife laws are very restrictive, no doubt. But your article is quite dated. There have been a few changes and generally the police use a bit of common sense. Clearly things could be better. But the British public seem happy with the fact that "it's illegal". If you need a knife for your business, there is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Zoo Keeper. The UK knife laws are very restrictive, no doubt. But your article is quite dated. There have been a few changes and generally the police use a bit of common sense. Clearly things could be better. But the British public seem happy with the fact that "it's illegal". If you need a knife for your business, there is no problem.
    The problem is the choice and perception lies with the police. they decide if you have "good reason"...

You're right. But generally they use common sense, are polite and are accountable. But I hear where you're coming from.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3