Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 375 Ruger, practicality

I know many don't regard the 375s as big bores, but here goes. The 375, is it a practical choice. How many people have regretted purchasing one ,if dangerous game and eland are not on your hunting list regularly? What appeal does it have over the magnum 300s? Is it as versatile as the international forums make it out to be "one gun for Africa". If kudu, wildebeest sized animals are being hunted successfully with my 308, should i rather look at a 243 or similar. Theres this itch..

User

Default Re: 375 Ruger, practicality

Sell the .308. Buy the .243 and the .375.

Banned

No personal experience with the 375 (Ruger & H&H) except for some range shots. I have heard regrets about A) the cost of ammunition and B) recoil during range sessions. For the rest the people seem happy.

User

A 243, 308 and 375 are all very different and fulfill totally different roles.

The 243 is a good long range cartridge for small game. It can be used on medium game at moderate ranges, but is far from ideal for this application.

The 308 is a good short to medium range cartridge for medium game. It can be used on game up to kudu and gnu size, with good bullets and shot placement. A little on the light side for eland.

The 375 (both H&H and Ruger) can be used for almost anything, provided the correct bullet/load combo is used. For example: With 300gn premium bullets it can take the big 6. Somewhat marginal on ellies and buff, but you will have backup anyway. These loads are also almost ideal for big game animals like eland, giraffe etc. Loaded down a little, say a 270 gn cup-core bullet at 2200 - 2400fps, it should work well on medium game animals, with very manageable recoil. Loaded with a 200gn bullet at 3000 fps, it should work well on long range shots at oryx and any thing smaller.

So, ballistically the 375's are very versatile. They do kick quite a bit harder than a 308 or similar, and the ammo and components also cost more. The cost can be offset a little by using cheaper bullets for med and small game, like the Impala for example. A pity the old Frontier CS Game Ranger (CMJ's) are not made anymore.

You need at least one rifle in each of these 3 calibres, plus a 22 rimfire.

User

Hello. I shoot .260Rem for long range target shooting and hunting out to 300m when you simply cant get closer. Think Namibia, 2 months into hunting season.

The closest you can get to the herd of Springbuck is when they all fit in the scope. See the bakkie and run. Closer up and thicker bush, bigger game, I shoot a .375Ruger.

My rifle is actually a Ruger Guide Gun and with the muzzle break on it recoil is significantly reduced. But trade off is noise goes up and some rifle ranges will not let you use a muzzle break on the range. I also have a suppressor for the .375, reduces both noise and recoil.

But that then makes it heavier and longer, so I prefer to hunt with the muzzle break. For me, my Maximum Point Blank Range on both the .260 and the .375 are 210m, so one less thing for me to think about.

Powder I use S365 in both, so one less thing for me to mix up or think about. I have used the 270 Grain Swift "A" Frames with remarkable success.

Bought the rifle to hunt a buffalo. I am working on load development on 300grain solids and softs, the PH I use recommends putting one soft first and two solids second for the buff hunt.

Want the same POI for both rounds.

http://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/specSheets/47125.html

Good luck.

User

It's tricky, because the argument itself doesn't lend itself in favor of a 375.

Its like this, a 375 is already passed the comfortable recoil threshold for most, it's rounds more pricey, etc etc.

The problem with the recoil scenario, is you are not suppose to use it as a bech rifle, and recoil during hunting doesn't hurt.
    The problem with the cost factor, is that since you don't use it for the bench, just hunt with it, the money is rather small compared to the price of game animals.

So think about, if your 375 is suppose to be your trusty hunting rifle, why do you chose it in the first place? Because really it's a marginal DG rifle, so any of the 400's like the jeffery or rigby makes much more sense. Their cost and recoil profiles will be more or less exactly the same for hunting, meaning the difference would be irrelevant. But they have more stopping power than the 375, fact.

Now the die hard 375 fans must be foaming at the mouth by now, but I'm just thinking out loud, you know.

There are a range of bullets available for .375 Ruger. You can go light to 3200 fps, or heavy to 2400.

It is truly a one-rifle battery.

But two rifles are more fun than one, and three rifles more fun than two , so why impose a limit on yourself ?

User

Sell your .308 Win, use the .375 Ruger for all your other hunting, just use different weight bullets for different game animals you want to shoot...forget to shoot off a bench..use shooting sticks...I noticed the past hunt I have been on, I really need to practice shooting of shooting sticks,....it is something I really need to do better than the average hunter when I hunt again...When shooting of the sticks during the hunt it was something I am not well accustom to..

User

What does it cost to shoot the 375 when reloading on average? With regards to recoil, IF a person is recoil sensitive, wouldn't it make more sense to place a 30 cal bullet in the correct place then shoot a 375 with a horrible flinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    What does it cost to shoot the 375 when reloading on average?
    It is not cheap. Search the Safari site to get an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    With regards to recoil, IF a person is recoil sensitive, wouldn't it make more sense to place a 30 cal bullet in the correct place then shoot a 375 with a horrible flinch.
    Yes, it makes more sense to be able to shoot a smaller caliber properly, instead of a bigger caliber that makes you flinch.

If you don't reload, then it may not be a good proposition to go .375 .

The idea is that with reloading you can drop the bullet weight, say to 200 grains, which is the upper limit of a .308 , and recoil is manageable from the bench.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast