Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 375 Ruger, practicality

While everyone agrees that a 375 is not a "real" DG rifle, one needs to look further into this. Only 2 of the big 5 (or big 6, hippo being no 6) really need a bigger calibre. They are the elephant and buffalo. For the rest, a 375 will do quite nicely. Even a 30-06 is likely more than enough for a big tom leopard. Very few hunters will ever need or want to shoot an elephant. Buffalo are much more common and where I live there is quite a good chance of getting invited to shoot (hunt) one at times. So I need a capable rifle (well, that is what I tell myself ) that can also be used for other purposes. Such "other purposes" include participating in the "DG shoots" (charging lion or buff target) that form part of our hunters association's annual programme and competitions.

Compared to the 40, 45 and 50 calibres, the 375 has very capable penetration, if fed the right bullets. So it can reach all the vitals that the bigger calibres can. Only the holes it makes are slightly smaller. It also makes it marginally easier to place the shots correctly, which counts for more than the size of the hole in my opinion. That is why it has DG credentials, altough being regarded as marginal.

As noted by everyone before, it can be made to work for other game, something that the larger calibres are not known for. (With a little more effort, they can do this as well.)

Something not mentioned often, is the 375's long range capabilities. Loaded with a Hornady 300gn BTST at around 2600fps (G1 BC quoted at .460) it can go quite far if the shooter can control the rifle well enough from a suitable position. Terminal performance would be very comparable to the 338LM out to around 1000m or so. A light hunting rifle would be quite a handfull in this application, but the addition of a supressor can help tame it quite a bit.

The point is, there is no lack af suitable uses for a 375 rifle. If you like it, get it and use it. Would be a shame to let it linger in the safe.

I am more of a 9.3x62 kinda guy.

But, I have a 404 Jeff and its the gun I use most.

The point with a Big Bore (.40"+ ) is that although opportunities for DG are far less than years ago, you can still use it for anything.
    I see it best to hunt with it regularly so that, when I get to hunt DG, I know I am competent and familiar with my rifle.

Mine is fitted with an Aimpoint Micro and is my go to gun for everything.

User

Ended up buying a 375 Howa. Not sure if I should keep it, doing reloading costs.

User

I wish I had stumbled onto this thread earlier. Back when I wanted a "larger" caliber firearm I also had a look at the .375, both H&H and Ruger, then I shot my best buddy's .375H&H off a bench(Yes, I know but what do you do for load development purposes?). It became really uncomfortable very quickly and despite the fact I had hunted with this specific rifle on a few occasions with great success it just wasn't for me.

Enter the 9.3x62. Now this has become my sweetheart bush rifle. It does a brilliant job of anchoring animals and gives you plenty of options with regard to shot placement due to fantastic penetration through even heavy bone. Meat damage is minimal and if you know the trajectory you can shoot pretty far(I shot a warthog at 350M using 286gr Swift A-Frames leaving the muzzle at 2350FPS). Reloading is an absolute pleasure as I use S341, a ball powder which is poured very accurately by my Uniflow powder measure. Recoil is similar to top end 200gr 30-06 loads so somewhat stout but not nearly as "violent" as the 375H&H. Reloading is a bit dear if you shoot premium bullets but then I use my smaller caliber rifles to do most of my practice shooting with.

I have shot anything from Jackal, warthog, through impala and onto big kudu(Kudu's are reall softies imo, it doesn't take much to anchor them apart from good shot placement), gemsbok(I was surprised at how tough these guys are), big zebra stallions and of course the poor man's buffalo(BWB). Next year a big Eland bull is on the menu.

I am under no illusion that hunting the big five will remain somewhat of a fantasy hunt but should the opportunity present itself I could always "hire" a rifle from the PH/ lodge.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    Ended up buying a 375 Howa. Not sure if I should keep it, doing reloading costs.
    Did you buy it recently? If so do you mind sharing the shops name?

Reloading for any rifle is expensive, there is no rifle caliber to reload cheaply for. For low volume target shooting and occasional hunting, GS Custom is a good option. Downside is the order time, you have to order well in advance if they are not in stock. 200gr SP at 3000 fps for target shooting [ not the max load ] , and 250 grain HP if you hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Did you buy it recently? If so do you mind sharing the shops name?
    There is a beautiful Savage .375 Ruger at Safari on an accustock.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Never heard beautiful and Savage used in the same sentence before....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Thanks but im looking for a cheap workhorse and am happy witha safe full of Howas. Just cant seem to find one and rumour has it Howa no longer produce in 375?

User

I seem to remember a number of people having feeding issues with the Howa in 375R, and these ones needed quite a bit of work to get then running smoothly. Also IIRC its magazine is quite low capacity (just 2 or 3 rounds??)

But these are just recollections from a few years' back's posts, further befuddled by my overworked brain :-/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast