Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I seem to remember a number of people having feeding issues with the Howa in 375R, and these ones needed quite a bit of work to get then running smoothly. Also IIRC its magazine is quite low capacity (just 2 or 3 rounds??)But these are just recollections from a few years' back's posts, further befuddled by my overworked brain :-/
    Most big bores take 2/3 cartridges in the mag. Reason the sexy CZ is so popular apart from reliability is it holds 5 in the mag. I have 2 of them in the safe. They are true work horses.

Default Re: 375 Ruger, practicality

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Thanks but im looking for a cheap workhorse and am happy witha safe full of Howas. Just cant seem to find one and rumour has it Howa no longer produce in 375?
    I agree that the Howa in general is a cheaper alternative and as accurate as other brands, but not in every caliber.

.375 is not small. Barrel profile, bedding and weight are more important in the bigger calibers, and Howa uses the same stocks and mounted the same in a 375 as they do in a 308.

A 308 Howa with a varmint barrel weighs a full 2 pounts heavier than the .375.

If you just want a 375 to say you have one, then the Howa is fine, but I can't see it being a nice horse to work with.

User

What the numbers don't show, is that the Hogue overmoulded stocks usually mounted on the Howa, flexes quite a lot under recoil, helping to absorb a lot of the shove.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    I agree that the Howa in general is a cheaper alternative and as accurate as other brands, but not in every caliber..375 is not small. Barrel profile, bedding and weight are more important in the bigger calibers, and Howa uses the same stocks and mounted the same in a 375 as they do in a 308. A 308 Howa with a varmint barrel weighs a full 2 pounts heavier than the .375.If you just want a 375 to say you have one, then the Howa is fine, but I can't see it being a nice horse to work with.
    Dunno. Im not looking for MOA accuracy. Im looking for a light weight rifle in 375 CAL where i can chop the barrel to 20 inch. Have go out daily without concern of wooden stock.Ive tried one and it seemed to shoot fine.My 338 in Howa is not a small caliber and runs like a well oiled machine, used daily and is more accurate than me.Bog standard Howas work. May be an odd lemon but what ive experienced in SA you cannot beat them wrt bang for buck.

Ruger Alaskan had a 20 inch barrel, but whoever bought them seems to be keeping them.

User

Ruger guide gun.
    20" threaded barrel with removable muzzle brake.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Ruger guide gun.20" threaded barrel with removable muzzle brake.
    Yeh they look great but at the same cost as the CZ's unfortunately.

The Ruger guide gun in a 375 Ruger is one hell of a nice rifle .

User

Yup I have a Ruger M77 Alaskan 20'' in 416 and would never part with it. I would buy another Ruger M77 in a heart beat. S&O Woodmead may have a 375 Ruger in stock.

User

I’m really really sorry I missed this thread ...

I am blessed to have both a 375 H&H and a 300 H&H and they are the finest two rifles I’ve ever owned. In fact, I can’t think of a single thing that I can’t hunt successfully with one of them. The 300 H&H is my baby ... it was custom made for me to my exact specifications and it is an absolute tack driver. I waited several years for that rifle, but if I ever found myself in a situation where I was only allowed one rifle, then there’d be no doubt about the fact that I’d keep the 375 H&H.

It’s remarkably versatile and super accurate with everything from 235gr Speers all the way up to 350 Woodleighs. Barrel life is ridiculous - you’ll never burn the barrel out in your wildest dreams. You can load it hot. You can load it really really soft. You can use it close up and it’s easily good out to 300m with 260AB’s.

I’ve used it on game as light as 30kg’s and for heavier beasts too. They all die really quickly and humanely.

A number of people say it’s expensive to run ... this is not true. If you’re reloading for any of the smaller magnums you’re probably using premiums anyway, and there is basically no difference in cost between the Barnes LRX’s that I’m using in my 300 and premiums for the 375, and what’s more is that you don’t need premiums in a 375 for plains game.

I have no doubt that there is still a massive place in this modern world for rifles chambered in one of the cartridges offered in this magnificent diameter.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5