Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hijack at fuel station

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFW View Post
    It seemed to me like he didn't want chaos on his forecourt. More neutral maybe but I could not call it either way. Without his distraction the BG may just have pressed home his attack so it probably worked in my favour. So many "what ifs".
    So many sides to the story and so many details OP will never know. At least OP made it out.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    I see no reason why you cant rev both of them.

They are armed and attack is ongoing.

Their backs were turned to the victim but they werent fleeing.

No reason why he just couldnt turn around and shoot the victim.
    I think most crims will let you go if they get what they want, but there are those bastards that is sadistic and will shoot / attack you even if you comply, to get their jollies off. Unfortunately, you don't know whats ticking in their heads. You also dont know how competent this idiots are, they could be really skilled, they could be amateur shots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    I think most crims will let you go if they get what they want, but there are those bastards that is sadistic and will shoot / attack you even if you comply, to get their jollies off. Unfortunately, you don't know whats ticking in their heads. You also dont know how competent this idiots are, they could be really skilled, they could be amateur shots.
    This might be true but if one takes the amount of beatings and abuse during attacks there is something about exercising power over the weak or soft as well. The odds of things turning ugly are in my opionion too high in SA.

Well then the response is purely personal. You're either going to choose to be aware and react, or you're going to sit back and relax in the belief that you understand "most crims will let you go if they get what they want".

People have the tendency to overthink every situation and do a post mortem to the nth degree on every situation, "what if this, and what if that". Self defense is a personal choice. You must understand there is no textbook, there is no situation that develops in sequence. You either are the person who is prepared to react, or you are not. Everyone is different - there is no wrong or right answer.

User

Not sure whether it is truly relevant to the thread. But there was a shooting at the Kyalami Corner center yesterday (probably 5 mins before I got there judging from the fact that when I stopped in the parking lot there were no emergency vehicles or cops and after doing the round through Woolworths a crapload of emergency vehicles in the parking lot!!). From what I gathered from staff at Woolworths (the store manager of the victim came looking for a medic kit) is that the owner was robbed at gunpoint, and after complying and handing over what they wanted they just pulled the trigger. Owner shot through the head, was still alive when I left, but no update in the media.

So back to the point, staying calm and complying does not give you any more surety IMO.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HJordaan View Post
    Not sure whether it is truly relevant to the thread. But there was a shooting at the Kyalami Corner center yesterday (probably 5 mins before I got there judging from the fact that when I stopped in the parking lot there were no emergency vehicles or cops and after doing the round through Woolworths a crapload of emergency vehicles in the parking lot!!). From what I gathered from staff at Woolworths (the store manager of the victim came looking for a medic kit) is that the owner was robbed at gunpoint, and after complying and handing over what they wanted they just pulled the trigger. Owner shot through the head, was still alive when I left, but no update in the media.

So back to the point, staying calm and complying does not give you any more surety IMO.

I think it relates.
    I hope the owner pulls through and the thugs get their day in court, or whatever else is just.

The thing is, if they have decided to pull the trigger before the job, then fighting back gives you a chance. But you won't know that.
    These guys will often rape / torture / kill victims that comply, because they get a kick out of the power. It's a final "we will show you who is in control here".

Each situation / thug will be different and deciding the course of action will be next to impossible.
    If you decide to comply, hopefully they are still 'human'
    If you decide to fight, hopefully your training pays off and that these thugs are not skilled.

No way to know what will / would of happen , regardless what route you take.

User

The many millions of willing victims in SA aint helping this at all. I meet a lot of people and a significant majority think that giving whoever whatever they want will save them. Odds of someone fighting back is negligible and chance of being caught by SAPS is tiny so this is good business.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BarOne View Post
    The many millions of willing victims in SA aint helping this at all. I meet a lot of people and a significant majority think that giving whoever whatever they want will save them. Odds of someone fighting back is negligible and chance of being caught by SAPS is tiny so this is good business.
    I read somewhere, that the average thug will commit something like 30 to 70 offenses before they are caught. Scary number

User

Quote Originally Posted by HJordaan View Post

Here is a link i found

http://midrandreporter.co.za/182672/...yalami-corner/

User

Ahh thanks. Lets hope he pulls through!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast