Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hijack at fuel station

Quote Originally Posted by Kev123 View Post
    I'm not attacking you or anything, But it's a petrol station?

Cars pull in and out, with drivers getting in and out all the time, they were so quick how would one know they were going to hijack him?
    No attack taken, it's a discussion

Doesn't really matter if their intention is to hijack me, rob anyone else, or the petrol station itself, if I were to see a guy in a balaclava getting out a car with a firearm, and I was in my car, I would be flooring it out of there as soon as possible. Not going to stick around to find out whether it's me they want to rob/hijack.

I think the key is being aware. In or out of the car, it matters not if you are a dozy creature. http://m.news24.com/news24/Video/Sou...bbery-20160215

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Not trying to be brave or Rambo. Please think with me: the first assailant gives the driver a huge gap by putting his hands and arms into the window. One could theoretically grab his gun hand and start to fight back. If the car was idling even better - just grab the gun hand and floor the pedal. What worries me more is the second armed assailant - would he be willing to take a shot through a window with the chance of hitting his partner?
    We were taught this in Krav some years ago however I do think BG number two wouldn't have hesitated to put a few through the back window and into your back.
    Very risky but yes I do tend to agree with you that it is not impossible.
    The biggest factor I think is whether you have a passenger or not. As when you pull the gun in, you need to tuck it under your left arm, dangerous end is now pointed away from yourself, but possibly directly at your passenger in the front or back seat of the car.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Not trying to be brave or Rambo. Please think with me: the first assailant gives the driver a huge gap by putting his hands and arms into the window. One could theoretically grab his gun hand and start to fight back. If the car was idling even better - just grab the gun hand and floor the pedal. What worries me more is the second armed assailant - would he be willing to take a shot through a window with the chance of hitting his partner?
    No honor among thieves , if he shot his mate, i bet he would climb into the car and drive off without trying to get his buddy in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJ999 View Post
    No attack taken, it's a discussion

Doesn't really matter if their intention is to hijack me, rob anyone else, or the petrol station itself, if I were to see a guy in a balaclava getting out a car with a firearm, and I was in my car, I would be flooring it out of there as soon as possible. Not going to stick around to find out whether it's me they want to rob/hijack.

Best bet would be to move ass and get away from the situation for sure, but i must admit, i also dont pay attention to every other person or car when im filling up, im checking the pump, checking my phone, etc etc. Maybe climbing out of the car is not a bad idea though, you at least on your feet and if they want the car, you already less of an obstacle for them, or if you feeling lucky, ready to attack. But i pay enough insurance each month for my car, I'll let them worry about the wheels and i worry about my safety.

Banned

Two things come to mind: letting them get the property because it is replaceable is understandable. But handing over a firearm when there is a realistic chance of fighting back? Secondly, one has to consider the passengers. If one bad guy shoots another it is between them. If I or a passenger gets shot it gets another flavour altogether. The guy in the car was alone, which turns the situation in his favour to react.

User

getting out your vehicle at the pumps makes sense, imagine them seeing your EDC as they pull you out the car

luckily I dont have rolexes and im pretty sure the market for a 4.0 cherokee XJ is slim

User

Something that I couldn't help but contemplate, when getting out of the vehicle the driver has about 2/3 seconds where both BG's have their backs turned to him. Should he have shot both in the back what would the repercussions be? The attack is still ongoing, threat of deadly violence is present, but no unnecessary force or violence used. But at the same time at any point can they still pull a shot off.

User

Situational awareness. Several years ago i had to fill up in Midrand (New street) around 23h00, driving wife's new BMW. I am in car and nobody else on the forecourt, attendant filling tank, minibus pulls in at speed and stops randomly about 15m behind me (not lekker- I'm watching carefully) sliding door opens and dude jumps out with right hand under jersey and moves toward back of BMW. My arse draws in a big bite of seat. Slide 9mm from under my leg and keep it low, the attendant sees this and there is a sharp exchange. Dude stays behind car, hand under shirt, I don't take my eyes off him in the mirror once, I start the car with left hand and put it into gear. Nozzle is still in car, but car is in gear and running, attendant finishes filling, collects card, dude stays where he is about 7m behind car and we eyeball each other in the rearview. I sign left handed without taking eyes off him and as I hand back I nail it off the forecourt. The dude runs back and jumps into the minibus and we both run two lights at speed before I lose him. I imagine he was waiting for a moments gap, when I bent down or took my eyes off him or looked for something. I think I was very very lucky, still makes my blood run cold.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFW View Post
    Situational awareness. Several years ago i had to fill up in Midrand (New street) around 23h00, driving wife's new BMW. I am in car and nobody else on the forecourt, attendant filling tank, minibus pulls in at speed and stops randomly about 15m behind me (not lekker- I'm watching carefully) sliding door opens and dude jumps out with right hand under jersey and moves toward back of BMW. My arse draws in a big bite of seat. Slide 9mm from under my leg and keep it low, the attendant sees this and there is a sharp exchange. Dude stays behind car, hand under shirt, I don't take my eyes off him in the mirror once, I start the car with left hand and put it into gear. Nozzle is still in car, but car is in gear and running, attendant finishes filling, collects card, dude stays where he is about 7m behind car and we eyeball each other in the rearview. I sign left handed without taking eyes off him and as I hand back I nail it off the forecourt. The dude runs back and jumps into the minibus and we both run two lights at speed before I lose him. I imagine he was waiting for a moments gap, when I bent down or took my eyes off him or looked for something. I think I was very very lucky, still makes my blood run cold.
    Im not sure whats more impressive, the fact that you got away or the fact that you swiped your card, waited for payment, signed the paper, waited for card , all that good stuff and only then making a getaway. The same for the minibus doos, he stood there and waited like a good little kid, waiting for his turn.

But great that you could get away from that situation! Job well done!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast