Default FA's sold before passing away

Hi Guys,

Need some advice. My dad passed away last week. He owned 5 FA's. He sold 4 of them a while ago, but the buyers have not received their licenses yet. The other FA is coming to me, but I have not been able to apply for the licence as I am waiting for my competency.

My step mother and I are the executors of the trust and we appointed a company to handle the estate.

I was thinking of booking by fire arm into dealers stock. Is this advisable and what would the costs generally be?

What do we legally do with the other firearms until the guys come and fetch them? I read somewhere that it is legal for my step mother to keep them in the safe at her house as she is one of the executors? Is this correct and what is the legal requirements for this? She does not have any other firearms or a competency.

Regards
    Thysie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: FA's sold before passing away

When my Father in law passed away. There was no issue with the firearms staying in her safe until everything was settled.
    The 2 firearms were sold. She signed the 271 as executor. With copies. Proving she is executor. And death certificate.
    It was filled in on 271 where they ask where is firearms stored. The home address. This was never queried by the applicants DFO.
    Nor CFR during the application process.
    I know in some cases people will even transfer firearms over to dealer onto their stock for resale again.
    To make it easier. But most dealers will charge you storage. Which depending on dealer and time buyers application takes.
    Can become expensive. So you might want to inform buyer he might be responsible for these costs.

On the other hand. There should be no issue with the applications. As your dad signed it before passing away.
    Anything sold after date of death. And the 271 should be signed by executor. And have documents attached.
    Showing that person is the legal executor of estate.

User

When my father passed away I applied for a storage permit for his FA's. I had the required competencies and safe and took a copy of his will (in which I was appointed as executor) as well as a copy of his death certificate to my DFO. I think the approval of the storage permit took all of 20 minutes. Once storage is sorted it should just be a matter of waiting for the license approvals of the new owners.

User

Thysie
    Firstly, condolences to you and family. Over a year and my dads' estate is still not finalised.
    My personal viewpoint is that you should wait until formally appointed executor by the court. This takes weeks or months.
    Leave the safe locked, because after all, you are not yet executors......
    By then, new owners' licences should be through. Your application will be straight forward enough.
    Ep

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk