Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Would a butcher take a carcass with the skin on to hang like that?
    A local butcher once told me that they may only hang skinned carcasses.

User

Default Re: Buck is shot now what.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    A local butcher once told me that they may only hang skinned carcasses.
    I've been told the same by a butcher.

Im not a health inspector. But reckon for the butcher to hang a carcass with skin on next to other meat could be health risk. As in effect the skin has got dirt/dust on which could contaminate open meat.

due to health regulations ( so I have been told by butchery) butcheries wont take animals with skin on.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    due to health regulations ( so I have been told by butchery) butcheries wont take animals with skin on.
    Yup

Previous butcher I used, game was delivered skin on to his cold room on his farm to mature for a couple of days, he removes the skin and transports to his own butchery in town for processing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I NEVER leave the skin on. A bit of drying out and some dirt on the carcass when loading and transporting is no problem. Just wipe it off with a damp cloth. The chance of getting the meat tainted and smelly is just too big for me. The jellyfied blood under the skin at the entrance and exit wounds are a breeding place for bacteria. Skin the animal ASAP and remove all the damaged meat and layer of jellyfied blood under the skin. Scrape it off. Then, if the animal was gut shot, get a hosepipe and also wash and cut clean as far as possible between the ribs. An awful lot of stomach content can get trapped between the layers of meat, sinew and bones at the ribcage. If shot through the shoulders, cut the shoulders open between the ribcage and shoulder blades. There will be a lot of blood in those areas that spoil easily. After cleaning the whole carcass, get it into a cold room asap. When transporting directly (warm) carcass, don't cover with plastic, only a cloth. If carcass is already cold and the trip not too long, put plastic sheeting on the vehicle floor and sides, stack carcass/es in, cover with light plastic and cloth (bed sheet) over it.

When I slaughter larger animals I always cut the carcass in pieces already for easy transport and working further. While still hanging, cut of the shoulders. Then cut out the fillets and "garing vleis" (English???). The long meat strips on the back. They go into a big jim box. Cut of the neck, will saw it later in pieces or debone it. Debone the ribcage. Cut of the ribs and spine that are now clean. Saw the rumps in the middle for two seperate parts to be hanged easily.

I process meat myself and never hang game to ripen. Ripening is for beef. Game is used only for biltong and dry wors and patties etc. I process it as fast I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Then cut out the fillets and "garing vleis" (English???). The long meat strips on the back.
    Backstrap...

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I process meat myself and never hang game to ripen. Ripening is for beef. Game is used only for biltong and dry wors and patties etc.

And streak....and potjie....and roast...and pie, and with the right type of game, even ribs and chops.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Would a butcher take a carcass with the skin on to hang like that?
    I agree with the cleaner transport with the skin on. It worked for the buck right up to when it got shot so a little after should be good.

If leaving the skin on it is also possible to gut on the ground? So no need to lift. This will probably be more messy. But it's way lighter once it's gutted.
    Randy Newberg does a video or two on skinning on the ground and cutting their animals up to pack out of the hunting areas:

Then on meat processing the Scott Rea Project has superb videos on all of this. Here are a couple of examples:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2