User

Default Using a high magnification scope

Hi guys,

I have just recently started using higher magnification (going beyond 12x). So shooting at 18x (highest magnification I have), I have come to realise that eye alignment becomes critical (much more so than at 12x or 9x).

So what are your tips and tricks for ensuring your eye is the same distance from the lens consistently from shot to shot. How do you ensure exact eye alignment to your scope for each shot?

Does exit pupil play a role in eye alignment with scope, or only in the brightness of the picture.

Any good articles I can read?

Thanks 18x

User

Default Re: Using a high magnification scope

I used an elastic sock and jammed in a whole lot of cleaning cloth. I have a CZ550 lux it has a very low comb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

Thanks Bruce. I put a Boyd's stock on my 243 to get rid of the drop. Much better than the stuffed stock sock (but also much more expensive).

How do you index your cheek to ensure distance from scope is consistent?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Thanks Bruce. I put a Boyd's stock on my 243 to get rid of the drop. Much better than the stuffed stock sock (but also much more expensive).

How do you index your cheek to ensure distance from scope is consistent?
    Adjust the scope in the rings so that you can see clearly at the highest magnification in the shooting position that you will be mostly taking your shots in. It should work for every other magnification.

User

Maroelas...i do not think that there is a simple answer to your question because shooting possitions change.

Think of the relationship between your head and shoulders and how it changes from the standing possition to shooting prone and how it changes again when shooting off a bench.Your head goes from straight up in line with your shoulders to tilted upwards to hunched slightly foreward. All of these have an impact on the possition of the stock on your cheek.

Stand,close your eyes,shoulder the rifle with a cheek weld comfortable for you [head in a natural upright stance,do not subconciously "creep foreward on your stock} and on opening your shooting eye you should be looking through the scope with no shadow rings around the outside or on one side of the scope.

Adjustments can then be made for eye relief [on the scope mounts] or it may require an alteration to the stock itself.I find that most standard stocks are a touch too long and a touch too low for me.

On the higher magnification scopes,normally 12x and up,you have an external adjustment for parallax.If you are then shooting at 300m and the parallax is set on 300m you should be able to look through the scope and the crosshair will not move even if you move your head from side to side,up and down or backwards or forewards on the stock.

Just remember that the higher the magnification,the smaller the field of view and it can take some practice to find your target quickly.

On all scopes. The higher you go on the magnification. The shorter the eye relief will get.
    You need to setup your rings at correct height to fit the way you hold the rifle.
    Off course you should be holding rifle correctly. The ideal is to pick up rifle and immediately be able to look through scope.
    If you have to move your head up or down to get better sight picture. Your ring height is not correct.
    When you setup your scope more forward or backwards. Stand and hold rifle and look through it.
    Then go prone and do same. Make sure in both you get good sight picture at highest magnification.
    Almost sure thats how they also explained it in the Lynx Lx3 manual I bought 3 weeks back.

Actually irrespective if your standing, kneeling, sitting or prone. Your head should always be in same spot.
    The only thing that changes is normally your shoulder. As standing and go prone. Your shoulder moves a bit forward and backwards.
    Thats one of the reasons the fancy stocks have adjustable length of pull. So you can change it. Without forcing your shoulder out of
    its position to make up for the change. And then that effects accuracy again.

User

The principle is exactly the same.

The more you practice the easier it becomes, do it enough and when you raise your firearm or sit on a bench you will perform the action automatically.

Do not overthink the scenario, it's just a scope, magnification makes it harder to use, practice makes it easier.

User

Sorry for the late response guys. Been hectic!

Thanks for all the tips. Will look at all the suggestions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Stand,close your eyes,shoulder the rifle with a cheek weld comfortable for you [head in a natural upright stance,do not subconciously "creep foreward on your stock} and on opening your shooting eye you should be looking through the scope with no shadow rings around the outside or on one side of the scope.
    Just got back from a weekend in Pilanesberg. Quickly got the 243 out the safe. Interesting that when I am in the standing position with the scope at 6x natural mounting brings a perfect sight picture. But crank up the magnification to 18 (and thus shorter eye relief) have to move head forward to obtain a perfect sight picture.

When going prone at 6 I have to pull my head back a bit (head/shoulder orientation you mentioned), but at 18x it is perfect sight picture when mounting naturally.