User

Default Multi position sheath

I have been involved in a new project on another forum in the design of a general purpose safari knife for the traveling hunter. Not a hunting or skinning knife but more in the tradition of a bushcraft knife but with a few modifications and I have been looking at the sheath and have come up with a prototype that will be configurable in three positions. Having made this trial one I will shift the carry straps forward toward the handle by the width of the straps on subsequent models which will make it better in all three positions

For horizontal carry

for vertical carry

and for canted cross draw.

User

Default Re: Multi position sheath

Von Gruff excellent idea..toting a rifle in the veld with a sling , the knife around a hunters waist knocking against the rifle is something not conducive to walk and stalking game.This is an excellent idea...Photos of the back of the knife sheath?

User

Interesting idea, i would also like to see the back of the sheath. I prefer my knife sheath to hang off the belt rather than pivot on the belt, ie a vertical moment with no rotational moment and would be keen to see how you find this in practice.

Your photos raise an unrelated question, do you hunt with braces? I have tried this and find them incredibly comfortable compared with using a belt (which is then used to hang kit only). The one issue I do have is finding a comfortable slung position where I don't scrape the rifle stock on the (metal) buttons from time to time.

User

As far as my braces go, I have been wearing them for about 20 years and make my own. I and wear them for all my trousers but for the hunting set (I have a good set and a general working set) I made them so that there is no possible contact point between my rifle stock and the only metal on them which are the sam brown studs for adjusting the length. My buttons are not metal metal so there is not conflict there.

This is the rear of the sheath is a simple design

User

Von Gruff, it really is excellent craftsmanship , I would be one happy chappy if ever I can get hold of one of your excellent knives...

User

Thanks Gert. I guess I will be making these for some time to come so when we can work out the logistics----------------------------.

User

He,he,he, you know nothing you send to South Africa usually get to the person the parcel is addressed to..We are the only country where an insured/tracking number parcel still have a 95% chance to get lost...

User

Need to find someone who is coming here and retiuring home or going there to take one with them

User

I wear a second belt when hunting. Then I can move my cartridge holder and knife to the small of the back when walking and stalking. Also binocs are warn cross shoulder under the arm . It can also be moved to behind the back. In that way everything is out of the way.