Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scope choice

User

Default Scope choice

Morning ladies and gents.

I went thru a process of deciding witch scope i like and what im willing to pay.
    The end result was the Swarovski Z3 3-10X42
    Unfortunately i missed the special SO had on them for R13K and the best price i can find now is R15500.
    But this morning i found a post on FB from a shop called Target line. They have the Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BT for R16900.

Now the question here is, is it worth the extra bucks or not. I never checked it out as it was a 50mm and the zoom starts at 4x.

My budget was R15k but i can up it if it is worth it. And we all know that there is very good specials to be had once the hunting season is at its end.
    The scope will be fitted to a CZ 7x64 so nothing special on the weapon side.

Please feel free to recommend something else in the same class of scope.

Thanks
    Enjoy.

User

Default Re: Scope choice

You won't go wrong with the Z3. Also have a look at the Leupold VX3-L 4,5-14x50 Varmint Hunter in the same price bracket (SO website)

I know alot of guys dont look at them but.
    A month ago or month and half.
    i started shopping for a new scope for my rifle.

I was willing to go to 25.

But after all the shops and time spent I ended with Lynx Lx3.

You should really look at the new Lx3 line. They are incredibly clear and well built.
    And local. So support is brilliant. I had my old 6-24x42 lynx repaired once after falling on it. took less then 2 weeks from CPT.

If you think about the following. Most scopes are made in Japan. The better once.
    So from there they are shipped to who ever sells them again.

So Lynx scopes travel from Japan to SA only then sold.
    Other makes will for example go from Japan to America then to SA. So there is much more shipping that gets added to price.
    Possibly also import and export fees.

There are alot of very good makes to choose from. But take a look at the LX3 you will be surprised and well in your budget.

User

Thanks for the reply's.

@ Tobie. I have looked at the Leupold and it was on my list. The only thing that bugged me about it was the 4.5 zoom that has
    a great influence on the field of view for bush hunting.

@ shooty. I had a look at the LYNX LX3 2.5-15X50 and really liked it. It looks good and feels a bit heavy vs others in it class. Not that that is the end of the world.

Intresting to me is both the above scopes are 30mm tubes if im not mistaking.

Cheers

I was pondering on MOA or MIL.
    And lets skip the FFP and SFP options. lol.

I stuck with MOA and the long range guys will probably jump all over this option.

But after 20 years shooting I know MOA and not gonna change now.

Any case I was kind of set on the LX3 Tactical in the 2.5-15X50. But the crosshair is a dot. I did not like that. the Tactical is also mil.

I ended with the 5-30X56. And realized its got a 34mm tube. lol Thats wider then my first scopes objectives I owned which was 4X32 and 3-9X32.

The LX3 5-30 is incredibly clear.
    Our range goes to 500m.
    At 300 I can easily see holes on paper target from shooters. And the paper target it self is clear. So far I only took scope out twice since I got in last month. But am going to see what it does at 500 also. As I just received my Med Torso gong I ordered.
    Which I want to use on longer ranges.

The 2.5-15 I think is around 700g and the 5-30 is 1.1kg.

The wider the tube the more elevation you can get and off course the more light they can get through which helps improve clarity.

Any case. Even if its a 100g more then another scope. I dont think that will be such an huge issue.

Most important to consider is. Backup of scope in SA. Built quality. Off course Scope quality optics part. And price.

Then off course you need to be happy with reticle.

Basically lynx ticked all of these for me.
    But Im sure others will say other brands for them.

Another thing about scopes. Irrespective brand. I almost want to compare it to Cellphones. Every couple of years the manufacturers improve their machines which improves the optics quality. So if you bought scope make A model1 in for example 2005 and you buy the same scope make A model 1 in 2017. You will notice the quality of optics might be better. Thats because the manufacturing improved on components which improved lens quality.

User

have you considered the Leupold VX6 2-12X42 ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    have you considered the Leupold VX6 2-12X42 ?
    Yes i have. It looks to be a fantastic scope. But im not sure i want to pump more than R20k into a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I was pondering on MOA or MIL.
    And lets skip the FFP and SFP options. lol.

I stuck with MOA and the long range guys will probably jump all over this option.

But after 20 years shooting I know MOA and not gonna change now.

Any case I was kind of set on the LX3 Tactical in the 2.5-15X50. But the crosshair is a dot. I did not like that. the Tactical is also mil.

I ended with the 5-30X56. And realized its got a 34mm tube. lol Thats wider then my first scopes objectives I owned which was 4X32 and 3-9X32.

The LX3 5-30 is incredibly clear.
    Our range goes to 500m.
    At 300 I can easily see holes on paper target from shooters. And the paper target it self is clear. So far I only took scope out twice since I got in last month. But am going to see what it does at 500 also. As I just received my Med Torso gong I ordered.
    Which I want to use on longer ranges.

The 2.5-15 I think is around 700g and the 5-30 is 1.1kg.

The wider the tube the more elevation you can get and off course the more light they can get through which helps improve clarity.

Any case. Even if its a 100g more then another scope. I dont think that will be such an huge issue.

Most important to consider is. Backup of scope in SA. Built quality. Off course Scope quality optics part. And price.

Then off course you need to be happy with reticle.

Basically lynx ticked all of these for me.
    But Im sure others will say other brands for them.

Another thing about scopes. Irrespective brand. I almost want to compare it to Cellphones. Every couple of years the manufacturers improve their machines which improves the optics quality. So if you bought scope make A model1 in for example 2005 and you buy the same scope make A model 1 in 2017. You will notice the quality of optics might be better. Thats because the manufacturing improved on components which improved lens quality.
    Im perfectly happy with MOA
    Yes indeed one of the most important thing for me is after sales service and guarantees.It does however look like the big guns stick to there promises.
    I fully agree to the fact that same models improvements does happen on the same model over the years as technologies changes. As far as the reticals are
    concerned you can pic and choose as you want on 90% of the scopes. Also depending on what turrets you choose. Im not a big fan of the open turrets if i can call it that.
    Meaning turrets without caps on them.

I never worried about the open turrets.
    But have started liking them.
    Especially on the range.
    I downloaded the Strelok app mostly for airgun. And with it the open turrets are very handy at different ranges and wind conditions. But if your not worried about this. Then no need. You can also just remove turret caps on range and adjust.

User

User

I came here to post that.

Now if only I was in the market for a hunting scope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast