User

Default which bullets to use for 223

I have a mini 14 and started to use frontier CMJ bullet heads and found that the bullets where showing lead splats on the targets and the accuracy deteriorated I have bought some impala heads and want to know if any one has reloading imfo on them they are 42gr .
    What other options are there where you will not be breaking the bank if you shoot a lot.

User

Default Re: which bullets to use for 223

The lead splat means that it's a lead bullet with copper plated. I reload allot of ammo for my 223. What I've done was to buy PMP 223 55gr in bulk whenever there was a special at the gunshops, so I have a decent brass collection from that. I reload my bullets with the PMP doppies and 55Gr SP CMJ Projectiles, seems to be accurate enough for me, then also whenever someone has a special on primers and powder I buy...you save allot in the long run when reloading, you save even more when you buy your stuff on specials....

User

The lead leaking from the CMJ's is most likely due to a fast twist rate spinning the bullets faster than they can comfortably handle. I assume your Ruger has a 1:7 twist barrel? If accuracy is acceptable, that is not really a problem.

Alternatives available are the Impala and KZN Ammunition 53gn brass bullets, as well as Hornady 55gn FMJ's. KZN and others sell the Hornady's in bulk.

No idea on load data, but you should be good starting at the 55gn load data and carefully working upwards. If the rifle cycles and groups, you do not need to push higher velocities.

User

As AR said, but another possibility is damaging the jacket due to poor case prep or over crimping.

Also what speed are you running?
    With a 1:9 twist you should easily be able to make factor before the bullets start coming apart.