Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Fixed blade

Default EDC Fixed blade

Hi guys.
    So a guy the other day with a custom made knife that he carries in a sheath belt loop that he carries behind his back ,
    I really liked this idea and was wondering what nice knives there is that comes with this kind of sheath that won't cost an arm and a leg , as this will be my edc ,utility do it all knife...

What would you guys recommend?

User

Default Re: EDC Fixed blade

If guys generally carry a fixed blade they will not use it for everyday stuff like cutting boxes etc. You want it as sharp as possible all the time. Have a cheap/or not cheap folder that you do everyday tasks with.

Kydex sheaths are usually around R500 and are done with your knife so you would need to send it away or go and visit the kydex hoslter maker.

Fixed blades can cost R200 up to R20000 so its up to you what your budget is and how big you want the knife.

No reason not to start off with a mass production fixed blade for R600 and see if it suits your lifestyle.

But if you dont own and carry a firearm then I would invest in that first.

I have no interest in being in a knife fight if I have the means to carry a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    If guys generally carry a fixed blade they will not use it for everyday stuff like cutting boxes etc. You want it as sharp as possible all the time. Have a cheap/or not cheap folder that you do everyday tasks with.

Kydex sheaths are usually around R500 and are done with your knife so you would need to send it away or go and visit the kydex hoslter maker.

Fixed blades can cost R200 up to R20000 so its up to you what your budget is and how big you want the knife.

No reason not to start off with a mass production fixed blade for R600 and see if it suits your lifestyle.

But if you dont own and carry a firearm then I would invest in that first.

I have no interest in being in a knife fight if I have the means to carry a gun
    I,ve got my okapi in my pocket for general day to day stuff , but sometimes can be rather a bit to small , Im quite a tall oke so small knife feels uncomfortable in my hands.

Budget would be anything under about R800 .

Carry my 9mm with me always ,but would like a nice fixed blade aswell and the belt loop at the back looks like a nice place to carry a knife, easy accessible and concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigdohne View Post
    the belt loop at the back looks like a nice place to carry a knife, easy accessible and concealed.
    Small of the back is a great place to carry until:

1) You fall on your back and the knife/gun acts a fulcrum for your spine;
    2) You have to try to retain the knife/gun in a fight;
    3) you have to draw with the offside hand;
    4) you have to sit/drive.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Small of back is not great.

I suggest something in front where you can access. Appendix is where I carry fixed blade as I carry strong side.

Someone was selling a xavier knox TDI on here(don't know if it was sold) for R900. That's a great price for an awesome blade.

Or look at something with a "spike" design. That way you can learn to get used to it easier than going bigger first off.

Banned

Ludwig, "custom made" and "won't cost an arm and a leg" are usually hard to put together. A custom knife will start at R1200 or so. Add a kydex sheath for R350+ or more...Can you give us some more info on the "sheath belt loop"? Is it leather, plastic, kydex? Where did the other guy find his and what did he pay for it? Lastly: have you done some research on the type of knife you want? There are dedicated fighting knives like the karambit or TDI, but you could also look at a classic shape like a boot knife, roach belly, bowie or similar.

While I don't own one, I think the Xavier Knox Bad'ger is probably one of the best SD knives you can get here.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Small of the back is a great place to carry until:

1) You fall on your back and the knife/gun acts a fulcrum for your spine;
    2) You have to try to retain the knife/gun in a fight;
    3) you have to draw with the offside hand;
    4) you have to sit/drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    Small of back is not great.

I suggest something in front where you can access. Appendix is where I carry fixed blade as I carry strong side.

Someone was selling a xavier knox TDI on here(don't know if it was sold) for R900. That's a great price for an awesome blade.

Or look at something with a "spike" design. That way you can learn to get used to it easier than going bigger first off.

Thanks for the advice will definitely rather considering carrying front !

User

Also if you have to put the knife back in the sheath it won't be easy with the sheath behind your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Ludwig, "custom made" and "won't cost an arm and a leg" are usually hard to put together. A custom knife will start at R1200 or so. Add a kydex sheath for R350+ or more...Can you give us some more info on the "sheath belt loop"? Is it leather, plastic, kydex? Where did the other guy find his and what did he pay for it? Lastly: have you done some research on the type of knife you want? There are dedicated fighting knives like the karambit or TDI, but you could also look at a classic shape like a boot knife, roach belly, bowie or similar.
    Sorry explained it incorrectly , the knife i saw from the oke was a custom made knife , didn't mean I want one as they are as you said quite expensive.
    I had a look at the TDI , and they look quite nice , was just thought they are mainly for SD and won't be best suited for other uses.
    Do I maybe have the wrong idea to have a EDC fixed blade that I want to use for everyday use , or should the SD and everday use not be mixed ?
    Few blades that I saw that was quite nice was CRKT AUX or
    Was wondering about the mora companion tactical as well?
    The Boot knife and roach bellies also look awesome...
    most of the knives that I,ve always used is a collection of folding knives.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast