Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Competency requirements SAPS

Quote Originally Posted by RI CAR View Post
    Nope...not for competency.

You will need one when applying for a FA license...buy that's only after you are certified competent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    That seems to make sense, cause the competency won't yet say which FA you will buy. My dfo indicated I need to have the safe with competency app.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Piranha786 View Post
    That seems to make sense, cause the competency won't yet say which FA you will buy. My dfo indicated I need to have the safe with competency app.
    Sigh....unfortunately DFO's tend to have the own interpretations of what is required....where they get this from is anyone's guess.

A simple solution would be to buy a small (relatively cheap) hand gun safe. Mount this and take pictures etc. It will just simplify your life. I did this and I have in fact found that it's also really useful as I can keep my EDC in there and then not have to open my larger rifle safe (where all the fun toys hode) daily!

Which DFO is this....perhaps others in the same area can advise.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RI CAR View Post
    Sigh....unfortunately DFO's tend to have the own interpretations of what is required....where they get this from is anyone's guess.

A simple solution would be to buy a small (relatively cheap) hand gun safe. Mount this and take pictures etc. It will just simplify your life. I did this and I have in fact found that it's also really useful as I can keep my EDC in there and then not have to open my larger rifle safe (where all the fun toys hode) daily!

Which DFO is this....perhaps others in the same area can advise.

I do have a small safe build into the wall, but not so sure if its SABS approved.

User

I do have a small safe build into the wall, but not so sure if its SABS approved.
    That should be fine. I am certain you will ensure that you have the correct spec space when you need to apply for a FA license!

Right now it appears that your DFO is manufacturing requirements so quite frankly let him/her raise up the issue of SABS standards/steel thickness etc. I have a sense that his/her own checkbox requires a "safe" and that gets the competency app submitted...this is what you need.

If further "obstacles" are raised then it would probably be appropriate to ask said DFO to point out where in the Act these requirements are.

Banned

I installed my safe while doing the competency, When applied for Fa Licence they came and checked my safe same day so I was happy it was installed already, but they did ask if I already had a safe installed only then asked to come check it.

Normally they check your safe after your Fa Licence is approved but I guess some DFO's do it differently.
    I know two of my friends where they did not even check there safes.

User

Your DFO is incorrect. There is no requirement to have a safe installed when applying for a comptency certificate.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    1. Two copies of your I.D. document, certified.
    2. Two ID/passport-size colour photos (2 photos must accompany any application, whether for Competency or licensing).
    3. Two copies of your accredited training certificates, certified.

NB! The PFTC Statement of Results must accompany any certificates for training done after mid-2015.

1. Proof of address i.e. rates & taxes bill, water & lights bill, Telkom bill. (If you’re a tenant, get a signed letter from the landlord and some official form of billing for that residence.)
    2. Three character references: Importantly, if you are married, your spouse must be one interviewee; similarly, a live-in ‘significant other’ must be interviewed. Another interviewee must be a family member, and the third, a friend or work colleague. They must attest to your temperament, and general suitability to possess a firearm. Please note that some DFOs require an actual person-to-person interview (which may be done telephonically), while other DFOs may accept signed statements from the character referees.
    3. R70.00 to be paid to the cashier, and proof-of-payment is then attached to your application.

Can't vouch for the proof of employment...never been asked that by my DFO
    I know this was a while back, just wondering if anyone can help.
    I have had photos taken already, but I have now seen there is a difference between ID photos and Passport photos.
    I always thought these were two names for the same thing.
    From what I can see the passport photos are a bit bigger.
    The competency form 571 says passport size photos.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2