Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Bow hunting backup gun

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Is the backup for protecting yourself against storming, wounded animals or to deliver the couple de grace? A .22 can kill with a head shot but you need way more oomph to stop a charging warthog.

Get a 9mm for SD and use it for backup until you can afford a proper backup calibre.
    I've read a few stories here on GS where you need way more than a 9mm to stop a charging warthog.

But otherwise as above, an SD weapon will work just fine.

I think I will get a 9mm then and use for both uses

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    .416 Rigby?
    In a TC? Eina f0k!

User

So here is a for interest sake post...

We had an Eland Bull that needed to be euthanased. We couldn't get closer than 300 m before it would attempt to run off further complicating the situation. Anyway we took the heart lung shot at roughly that distance and watch run some 25 meters before disappearing over a ridge. we spread out to go and find the carcass, he hadn't gone far and dropped behind a thicket. Said thicket was now offering him some nice concealment and I couldn't see him lying there. I came round the thicket to within 5 meters of him when he stood up, shakily but strong enough for me to be in a little trouble if he so chose. I drew my EDC (PO7) and took a bit of time to place my shot and pulled the trigger. He went down. The gunman who fired the first shot, carrying the rifle wasn't far behind and he came running up to see if the animal was now properly down. It was. He still joked saying that the heart lung shot was solid (It was) and that my pea shooter probably hadn't done anything. Anyway to humor myself I removed the the flap of skin where the shot had struck to see what the damage actually was... It was suprising! and definitely fully penetrated into the brain cavity. I did not however retrieve the round, I didn't feel like scratching around inside the brain cavity. picks below...

Firearm: CZ PO7 9mmp
    Round: Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ (Please note this is not part of the Winchester T series rounds.

User

For some reason I cannot upload photos

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeswardt View Post
    For some reason I cannot upload photos
    Thank you for the info I was looking at a Po7 a while ago but at that time I could not find a new one. But will go see if I can find one.

I had the same situation with Kudu cow. Po7 put her down with shot behind the ear. Penetration with Hornady hollows was however not so good. This year I carried full metal jackets in the bush to improve penetration. I did not need it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by lbarnard121 View Post
    Thank you for the info I was looking at a Po7 a while ago but at that time I could not find a new one. But will go see if I can find one.

No problem... However let me stress that the performance of the bullet has less to do with the gun firing it and more to do with the quality and construction of said bullet. Obviously within certain parameters. In other words, the performance I described above had little to do with the fact that it was a PO7. A G19 would likely have had an identical result. And even as a CZ PO7 owner, and this is my EDC, I would strongly recommend a G19.

Buy yourself a backup bow instead haha www.survivalarcherysystems.net. It will fit into your backpack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2