Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Kudu bull with 6.5x55, recommended?

Can you hunt a Kudu bull the same way with a (140gr@2670fps) 6.5x55 SWED caliber as with a (180gr@2600) 30-06 caliber in bush-veld conditions up to 240 yards?
    For example can I take a frontal heart shot with the 6.5x55 or am I pushing the limits?

Default Re: Kudu bull with 6.5x55, recommended?

The 6.5mm will have a calculated impact energy at 240yds of 1598ft.lbs while the 30-06 will be at 1961ft.lbs. This is 22% more impact energy.

Personally I would not take a full frontal shot at that range, it represents the hardest way into the chest cavity and in my book would be marginal. Not saying is would work but I would not do it with a cup and core / bonded bullet.

Perhaps the mono boys can chip in here.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

What 140gr bullet are you using? The type of bullet can make a significant difference. I would rather take a frontal shot at a large kudu bull with, for example, a 140 gr Swift A-Frame from the 6.5x55 than with a .30-'06 loaded with a 180gr PMP or Sierra GK.

User

Retained momentum will be the topic here.
    Retained momentum is a combination between frontal area and bullet integrity. Bullet integrity meaning the better a bullet holds on to it’s weight the better it’s retained momentum will be.
    SD means little once the bullet deforms, the way it deforms will govern penetration more than SD. So the little 6.5 even whiles having the better SD will have little chance living with the 30-06 when both bullets have the same bullet integrity after impact.

That said, a good bullet from a 6.5, like a partition, TSX or such will put a kudu bull down every time IMHO. But the question was will it perform the same, no, bigger guns are bigger, will it perform adequate, I believe so.

User

It's not too late to post an introduction.
    It will be the longest time to post one, but you know :)

User

Thank You all for the good replies, what about a heart/lung shot from the side from say 200 yards?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It's not too late to post an introduction.
    It will be the longest time to post one, but you know :)
    Hi Messor, will do.

User

User

roan....Short answer to your question is yes, you can use a "55 swede with confidence on kudu.

Take heed of what the chaps in the previous posts have said...you are getting very good advice from experienced hunters.Me,i lost count long ago on the number of large animals i have hunted with 140gr Nossler Partitions.

A full frontal shot on a kudu bull with any caliber must be done with caution.There is no room at all for error.Err as little as 3 inches either way [left or right of centre] or if the bull is standing at a very slight angle and you have problems.
    A bull is particularly narrow when viewed from the front and it is all to easy to place the bullet slightly off centre.The bullet then enters the front of the kudu,runs outside of the rib cage but inside the shoulder,exiting on the same side behind the shoulder.No vitals are hit even though the shot feels and looks good,and you have a fully mobile,wounded animal on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by roanfourie@gmail.com View Post
    Thank You all for the good replies, what about a heart/lung shot from the side from say 200 yards?
    I have yet to see a hunting bullet, from the 6.5x55, fail on a broadside, heart lung, shot on any antelope. You want to avoid the heavy shoulder bones on big antelope though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast