Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Kershaw Dune - experience/opinion?

I'd rather get her a Microtec OTF blade or at least a Benchmade Infidel, purely because it can be palmed and fairly non threatening until deployment. Which is easy as pressing a button.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I meant the difference between a a gun and a knife.
    I doubt that he will run to the police if he is already within her defensive space and she deploys a knife.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I doubt that he will run to the police if he is already within her defensive space and she deploys a knife.
    How much are you willing to bet on that? Her freedom, some large piles of money? Her having to stab him when he calls her bluff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    How much are you willing to bet on that? Her freedom, some large piles of money? Her having to stab him when he calls her bluff.
    BigT, I am not trying to be funny here. There has been some nasty situations in Vryburg with these characters. The only thing they seem to understand is brutal force. The local community is fed up with them and the police can only help so far. What should one do in such a situation? She already was being aware and trying to use the surroundings. She also cannot stay home all day, or have me run the errands.So the simple question is how to react. A stern set of words and an aggressive stance attracted enough attention from bystanders that the youngster went away nut that would not necessarily work next time. This has happened before to us and next time it can be more serious.Should she rather wait until he is running down the street with our baby girl and then start reacting in a lawful way?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Should she rather wait until he is running down the street with our baby girl and then start reacting in a lawful way?

Not sure why you are digging your heals in here. You were wrong a knife is not a different level of force to a gun, it is the same level of foce. So if shes going to pull the knife she may as well pull the gun. And if theres no threat that can be explained , then either will land you in a world of shit.

You've been given answers here to better prepare her and rather choose to get emotional and ignore them.

Because if she doesn't react in a lawful way that baby girl could grow up with mommy in prison, which isn't ideal. No one is saying dont react , we are saying the reaction has to be in line with the event. There is more to this than tools and the tool you have chosen is not the correct one for the particular problem you outlined.

User

T surely if he calls the bluff and she stabs him then all is well?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    T surely if he calls the bluff and she stabs him then all is well?
    Do you want to take the unnecessary chance of setting up a situation where she has to go metal into meat on a dude, with all that comes with because you wanted to pretend a knife isn't what it is?

User

Avoiding the use of lethal force when possible is one of our responsibilities.

Banned

I'll try again: I know people whose dog bit one of these youngsters when he stole stuff from their bakkie. And nothing came of it. Another guy was in a proper scuffle with three of the youngsters and he beat up two of them. Nothing came of it. There are enough other examples to prove that the moment Joe Public bulged muscles to some extent the youngsters take flight.

Scuffles and minor violent exchanges between Joe Public and the youngsters seem to be the norm and we have never heard reports of the police even being remotely involved. It comes and goes. That is why I have been willing to consider getting a knife. The chances of her getting into any kind of trouble is pretty remote.

On the other hand, I realise that though the local situation might be out of hand one still has to consider the written law because that is what will count should anything get to court.

I showed her this thread and we will go pepper spray shopping.

User

DsJ if things are as volatile as you describe then your Mrs should be going for her gun anyway. Why let her go into such a situation with a close quarters defence tool?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast