Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: GLOCK 17 and 19 Gen4 FS

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    You mean besides making racking easier?

I know, its prolly objective but I find it easier to make ready using the front serrations.
    Thanks, that makes sense! I'm just figuring that under pressure there would be a higher risk of ending up with your hand in front of the business end. Guess it is a question of training and practice

User

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense! I'm just figuring that under pressure there would be a higher risk of ending up with your hand in front of the business end. Guess it is a question of training and practice
    Under pressure you should be 1up and if you run dry you should be reaching for the slide release..... less chance of you riding the slide forward (and by less I mean should would be none)

Or that is how I practice it.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Genuine question here... without a thread hijack
    Is there an advantage to front serrations? I think they look nice, I'm just not sure I would like to get my hand that close to the business end
    I like to run the gun and press check from the front.

Easy top do without getting anywhere dangerous

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I like to run the gun and press check from the front.
    Echoing DrDave's disclaimer about thread hijack etc, with genuine question: Why? What is the perceived advantage of grasping the slide at the front?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Echoing DrDave's disclaimer about thread hijack etc, with genuine question: Why? What is the perceived advantage of grasping the slide at the front?
    Easier access there's less in the way.

User

And a fraction quicker getting your grip back on the gun

User

In the interest of full honesty, I was going to post the following bit in inverted commas, but just before pressing "post" I decided to just try and understand what BigT and neilh means, whilst actually having a pistol in my hands, rather than just lounging on my hip, and I try to paint mental pictures for myself:

"Again, not trying to be obtuse, but easier access to what, because there's less of what in the way?
    And why would it be quicker to get your grip back on the gun?"

What I realised by actually DOING it, is that they are both correct (and while it may sound simplistic in description, I needed to do it to understand) since the action just entails rolling the gun about its barrel axis, and the front of the slide positions naturally between the support hand thumb and forefinger. So both answers now make sense to me, and I can see the perceived advantage.

What interested me is that "thumb and forefinger" are the operative limbs here, seeing that's where the requirement for strength lies. I injured my left thumb whilst hunting 3 weeks ago, and while it's got full mobility and strength, it hurts like all hell when it's "pushed backwards" (or by implication, when it pushed forward hard, i.e. same reaction force). When I cycled the slide like this, it excited those nerves quite acutely...

Why do I say this? I say it because I can understand the advantage that some (even many) people can gain from this (of course assuming they do it a safely etc etc), specifically when it comes to having a clear view, and shaving that 10th of a second off a par time. I think it's great that Glock offers a product that makes using that option easier / reliable. I also think that this requires more finger strength (as opposed to hand strength, when compared to gripping over the rear of the slide with the whole hand), but then again no more when compared to the "old" two-fingered rear-of-the-slide-slingshot-pull. Thus, I don't believe pinching the slide at the front is the best solution for everyone (and neither do I believe it's being advocated as such). But this being the Interwebz, someone is bound to come along preaching that this is the only good and true way, because some USPSCDPA Grand Master use it and if you don't do it like this you're wrong and you'll get killed on da streetz <- (this is the only smiley I know how to make on my phone!)

For now, it doesn't work for ME, because it just hurts too damn much, while I never noticed the effect of the injury with my "normal for me" method. Had it not been for my silly tumble on a round rock trying to retrieve a 308 case, and landing on my thumb (but keeping my rifle safe!) I probably would have gone "wow, cool technique, perhaps I should practise this" tonight.

Sounds like these guns are gonna fly. I suspect if one is in the market for a new Glock, now would be the time to chat to your local dealer...

:- P

User

Also puts your hand over the ejection port. Some nice pics on the internet of what happens when things accidently go bang.

User

If only I waited another 4 months :( picking up my gen4 from the gs any day now....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast