User

Default Correspondence for Licensing Required, what is this?

Good Day Guys.

I have searched about, but either my search fu is not so great, or there isn't much on this.

So I have a shotgun which I purchased second hand from a dealer in CT, and then got it transferred up to Johannesburg.

When I originally went to hand in my Section 21' and app it was noted that this gun was not on the CFR System and the DFO said it best to get a gunsmith report, which sounded like a good idea.

Fast forward, app and sec21 submitted on 21st May, and everything seems ok with the DFO side.

Around mid June I get a call from the Sec21 department, asking me to supply a SAPS350c (Manufacturers return/Stock Manufacturered). I spoke to the lady and told her that the gun was bought second hand and that I only had the SAP350a from the dealer where the gun is stored, which I emailed to her as well as the gunsmith report (both were originally attached). I haven't heard a thing since then.

Fast forward again to today 02 August I gave CFR Call Centre a call and the gentleman I spoke to told me that the license application status was "Correspondence Licensing". I asked him to elaborate but he said all he knew that that they were looking for additional paperwork to help finalize the license, and that it had been at this status since 20 July.

So does anyone know what this means? It's a first for me and the first time I've ever heard of such a term. I'm not really sure how the gun wasn't on the system. It was my understanding from the dealer (who is reputable) that the gun was bought second hand by them.

Edited: Sorry I must add, that I double and triple checked that all the relevant documents were attached for my app, all the same documents I usually attach to my other Sec16 apps, with the SAP350 from my dealer, and gunsmith report added as surplus to my usual documents
    Last edited by Stevin; 02-08-2017 at 11:19. Reason: added more information

User

Default Re: Correspondence for Licensing Required, what is this?

You will only really know, once (if) the DFO contacts you for any additional paperwork. Sometimes the "correspondence" is with the DFO or another section.

The DFO should check the status of the gun on the "system" before he can capture your app. It also could be almost any other issue...

User

Thanks A-R.

So so in essence as per most things CFR, it's a case of wait and see? I would assume they are still bound by the 90 "working" days clause? I figure I could wait it out until then and if it's not finalized then get GOSA involved.

Hi Steven i had the same issue its been 7 months now... on a new firearm...and not one of those lot can tell me the status after submitting the relevant forms, again, after 2 months. Time for GOSA to take over im gatvol with their incompetence

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Call your DFO ask him. If he does not assist or cant.
    Then phone your provincial office.
    If your in CPT your luck is in.
    Because those two ladies is on the ball finding stuff out.

When you phone 6111 those people are merely call center staff. Ask to be put through to your provincial section at CFR.
    Yes they put you through. Youll get better answer on that side. Or phone 6100 and ask to be put through to your provincial section at CFR.

Ive even got a guys email address in Western Cape CFR. Who has assisted me several times getting info back to me.
    And helping with a 534 that just did not get processed.