Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Movie: DUNKIRK

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Those are all advantages for the aircraft (specifically the 109, which wasn't the only aircraft to use these engines). I'm wondering what the advantages from an engine viewpoint is to use an inverted V.

Default Re: Movie: DUNKIRK

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Item 4 in that reddit tells me that guy is blowing it out his ear. That point at least is complete rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Default Re: Movie: DUNKIRK

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Those are all advantages for the aircraft (specifically the 109, which wasn't the only aircraft to use these engines). I'm wondering what the advantages from an engine viewpoint is to use an inverted V.
    None AFAIK. To start with it makes for harder cold starting as oil would seep past the rings into the cylinder heads when the engine is unused for a period of time.

Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    None AFAIK. To start with it makes for harder cold starting as oil would seep past the rings into the cylinder heads when the engine is unused for a period of time.

I agree; should've worded my question differently, namely what the PERCEIVED advantage would have been, for the germans to develop a whole line of such engines (not only by DB, but also by Junkers), before they developed the different of aircraft that used them.

It could of course be that these perceived advantages were only on the airframe side, but that having such an engine allowed development of an airframe to leverage the advantages...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6