Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Default Re: Warning to All Sig 320 users - failed drop test by Omaha Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneWessels View Post
    Thank for posting. Its interesting to note they say "As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted." Is a War zone a controlled environment?

If my Kid was a Marine I'd still be a little worried about this.

Clintie

The problem with testing outside a controlled environment is also that there is no control over the pistol used.

Is the pistol still stock standard. Or has the owner polished or reworked internals to improve its function. Which will be outside the control of sig.

It could even be that these guys dont like Sig. And worked internals to create this issue. Just to get this to happen.

That is why it must happen in a controlled situation.

If you take any make of firearm. And go change the hammer spring. Or insert longer firing pin or do what ever you want to sear cage. And then drop firearm and it goes off.
    Surely you cant blame the manufacturer.
    Because the firearm is no not standard to their specs anymore.

User

This was their response to the DPD incident. Presume it's still too soon for them to release anything in response to these latest claims.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    The problem with testing outside a controlled environment is also that there is no control over the pistol used.

Is the pistol still stock standard. Or has the owner polished or reworked internals to improve its function. Which will be outside the control of sig.

It could even be that these guys dont like Sig. And worked internals to create this issue. Just to get this to happen.

That is why it must happen in a controlled situation.

If you take any make of firearm. And go change the hammer spring. Or insert longer firing pin or do what ever you want to sear cage. And then drop firearm and it goes off.
    Surely you cant blame the manufacturer.
    Because the firearm is no not standard to their specs anymore.
    Of course, thats fully understandable. Its not not clear if the one test that presented the problem was the same spec as the US Army or not....

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    This was their response to the DPD incident. Presume it's still too soon for them to release anything in response to these latest claims.
    Agreed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Clintoris View Post
    That was my concern as well when I read it. Those tests were designed like that for a reason and only the US Army will know why they decided they were satisfied after completing only Phase 1. Maybe the Cost saving had something to do with it. If the price is right then the Lives don't matter? I don't mean to presume on that but it makes so little sense that one can only speculate...

Clintie
    I believe it was decided that after Phase 1 the 2 pistols was so close that it was decided to stop any further testing.

I think they concluded that the Glock is not $100mill(+-R1.3 billion) better than the Sig's.

User

You would think the best way to make that "conclusion" is through, and this may be radical, actually doing the testing.

User

Personally I want my pistols to be drop safe in any orientation. If I'm climbing a scaffold and for some unimaginable reason my pistol fell to the ground I would prefer it does not fire, even more so when pointing upwards. Actually most times a person is above a pistol that falls so discharging upwards is really a big no no. When a gun falls there is no way of knowing in what orientation it will hit the ground.

A drop test should be done in all the major orientations.

As for being fake news. This may well be so, but in this case the individuals making the claims are identifiable and are making the claims themselves. Not some 3rd party that herd something form someones, what's-his-name. If they tampered with the guns in any way to get a discharge when dropping they are probably going to be in a world of hurt.

User

Have an app in for a P320c. In light of all this, I'm still very happy with the purchase. A little disappointed, but still prefer a Sig over anything else I looked at in the same price bracket.

However, if this fuss turns into a recall or something as serious as that, then I'll be pretty pissed.

User

Reading that sounds to me as if the firearm will indeed fire when dropped as per the video, but will not if dropped as per the drop test requirements

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast