Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default 20 ga Side by side shotguns: How available are they / 20 ga ammo?

Good day members
    How available are these shotguns and their ammo ? 12ga shotguns are all round shot guns, what is the 20 ga shot guns mostly used for?

I really would like to hear from shot gun owners ...

User

Default Re: 20 ga Side by side shotguns: How available are they / 20 ga ammo?

20ga guns and ammo is available, albeit at a slight premium and because of a resurgence in popularity, the situation will only improve.

I switched to 20ga exclusively, well almost, almost 4 years ago.

I hunt with it and I shoot clays with it, and I will not be going back to the 12ga soon. I have overcome the cost aspect, by reloading for it.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Banned

If memory serves correct there was a discussion about 12ga-vs-16ga-vs-20ga or something similar slightly more than a year ago.

I think the only real advantage mentioned was that 12ga had a slightly longer reach under certain circumstances. As mentioned above a few shooters had moved to 16ga or 18ga exclusively because it was more comfortable to shoot. My "facts" here might be wrong but the impression was that, once the shooters were converted their 12ga shotguns became safe queens.

User

Gert 20ga, way better gun than a 12ga.

I have vowed my next O/U is a 20ga.

Ammo at a small premium vs 12ga but readily avaible from the big gun stores.

Shooting high round counts on two consecutive days with a 12ga makes my cheeck a bit rosy, with the 20, hardly noticeble

Image with a bunch of Silver Pigeons. Bottom SP1 30" sport, middle SP1 28" x2 and on top 20ga SP1 field

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

20g very much available. Lovely field gun. Will easily handle most wingshooting that SA offers.

User

I have one
    And my 10yo son shoots it.
    Although it's a SxS I'm looking to buy him an O/U soon

Demotorque - John Broglio has got a really nice Bettinsolli 20 bore O/U - best value gun I think I have ever seen - brand new multi choke and sub 20k brand new.

User

Carl the reason the 20 appears lighter to shoot is because there is less lead mostly 21g or 24g if you shot the same load out of a 12 being a heavier gun you would have less recoil. The 20 being lighter is a great gun to carry in the field all day.

Personally I like my 12 and reload 25g 5's for bird shooting and 25g 7's for pigeon and clays and shoot those all day without a rosy cheek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

Members thank you kindly again...it really is always nice to get feedback from you..as always as well it is much, much appreciated. Few discussions regarding the 20 ga and 16 ga shotguns are on our forum??

Mostly 12 ga shotgun discussions??

It seems I am growing a soft spot towards shooting the side by side shotguns...this one is an old Army&Navy 20 ga side by side shotgun..I shot it and really like the feel of it..mostly I need my wife to like it and start shooting it... I will take it to the range on the next clay shooting round...see how it moves and shoot...

User

I have the Bettinzoli 20g OU and my 12 g is gathering dust in the safe. 20G is way more comfortable to shoot and comparable 24gram shot loads only sees approx 40 - 50 fps slower speed out of the 20g vs 12g. Same amount of shot so the 12g might have a slight advantage on "reach". can shoot a full slab of 250 cartridges from my 20g and wont even know I have been shooting. Clays are no problem with 20g and I have done two wingshoots taking Rock Pigeon, Guineafowl and Francolin no problem...even relatively high shots. We get screwed a bit on 20g pricing here in S.A and they cost a bit more than 12g , so I reload for 20g now which is nice as I get about 26g #5 shot using the supplied bushes in my Lee reloader which is a nice intermediate between the 24 gram and 28 gram standard load. Shot is about R42 a kilo which makes the reloading very viable. Without sounding biased I would recommend the 20g any day. Also weight wise, carrying the 20g all day on a bird shoot is a waltz in the park....the 12g is a lot heavier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast