Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Type56 Advice

User

Default Re: Type56 Advice

my 2c....saiga is nicer out of the box.

T56 you can still do things to it, but get the gun for half the price.

If you are thinking T56, get the standard one, you have a lot of after market options. The under and side folder T56's cant just be upgraded, it needs a gunsmith and lots of cash.

User

I love my Saiga, the finish is definitely better than a Type 56.

Having said that- Saiga uses proprietary mags that are very slightly different to AK mags. Can be modified to take standard AK mags by changing the mag catch and installing a bullet guide.

i upgraded the stock 2 stage Saiga trigger to an ALG- much lighter, much shorter pull and reset. I was surprised to feel my buddy's stock Type 56 trigger as it was waaay better than my Saiga stock trigger IMHO

User

The underfolder has it's uses but sport shooting is not one of them.

Go fixed or side folder.

I would rather pay more and get the Saiga. I have a Saiga 12.5" and it is a good enough commercial AK. Fit and finish is superior to the Norinco.

If you go the Saiga route factor in the process and cost of converting the gun to take standard AK mags - imo you will save the cost of the conversion in the price difference of std AK mags versus Saiga mags. My Saiga has the bullet guide conversion and it works 100% with all std AK mags that I have tried (AK steel, Magpul, IMI, Circle 10).

Red dot can be done with either the MI ak Mini Dot Mount or the MI railed gastube - these will give the same cheekweld as you would have with the irons. A side mount RDS mount will not give you the same cheekweld and it will be cheaper if you can live with it. There are options.

If your eyes are good you can consider sticking with irons and swop out the front sight post with a fiber front sight post.

I bought a 56-2 for a better quality rifle compared to the 56-1 offerings available at that time. But I knew it was going to cost me to change the stock to a Zhukov and it did. I don't regret it for one second.

Second what Khumba said regarding the RDS mount options.

I'm happy with mine despite it costing me quite a bit more than a Saiga thus far - it's exactly as I want it.

If you do decide to with a 56 after all, get a fixed stock 56-1 that has a rear trunnion that will accept the Zhukov stock. Check the left side of the receiver just under the dustcover. You're looking for a factory 33 stamp. This "should" get you a better quality 56.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Factory 33 or 313?

User

Thanks for all the replies guys, alot to mull over.

Keith will give you a shout when in that rea again.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    The underfolder has it's uses but sport shooting is not one of them.

Go fixed or side folder.

I would rather pay more and get the Saiga. I have a Saiga 12.5" and it is a good enough commercial AK. Fit and finish is superior to the Norinco.

If you go the Saiga route factor in the process and cost of converting the gun to take standard AK mags - imo you will save the cost of the conversion in the price difference of std AK mags versus Saiga mags. My Saiga has the bullet guide conversion and it works 100% with all std AK mags that I have tried (AK steel, Magpul, IMI, Circle 10).

Red dot can be done with either the MI ak Mini Dot Mount or the MI railed gastube - these will give the same cheekweld as you would have with the irons. A side mount RDS mount will not give you the same cheekweld and it will be cheaper if you can live with it. There are options.

If your eyes are good you can consider sticking with irons and swop out the front sight post with a fiber front sight post.
    Really like the idea of the railed gas tube, but at R4,5k odd for n troy I would rather just go with a side rail, and tape some foam to the stock for cheek weld.

How much would the MI gas tube cost?
    Really keen on keeping the iron sights in place.

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    Factory 33 or 313?
    My bad. But the truth is you really have to inspect it yourself to be sure.

And to that end, I must agree, you get way more assurance of consistent quality with a Saiga.

Quote Originally Posted by GVC86 View Post
    Really like the idea of the railed gas tube, but at R4,5k odd for n troy I would rather just go with a side rail, and tape some foam to the stock for cheek weld.

How much would the MI gas tube cost?
    Really keen on keeping the iron sights in place.

Just a note on the Troy tube. I recently had to re-zero my H-1 since it was suddenly way out, low and left. With no impact to the optic, I'm guessing that the tube (somehow) must have shifted slightly under recoil, despite being tightened down.

Looks like the MI tube is about R2390 from Hailstorm, and they have stock.

User

Attachment 26774

enough accessories to do what you want with a 56, if it lasts in sudan etc, it will last for sports shooting

not sure of the price diff with the saiga, but 56 with accessories to bring it up to date will run you more

all good fun at the end of the day, and you wont go wrong with either.... i wouldnt buy a 56 without inspecting it first though, canted sights etc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast