Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: Capability of the 150gr Mono vs 180?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    David, yes, you have the principle spot on, but you have to apply it now.

I think the 170gr pmp bullet at that velocity is more than enough for any bushveld hunting, sometimes I wonder how many things have been shot with that combination.

But knowing you are going to hunt the plains is more than just knowing the trajectory.
    300 meters does not sound far, it’s a spitting distance off a bench, but in the veld it becomes much more tricky. What I am saying is the bullet will put anything down at that distance, but distance is not your only concern. On the plains you sit with changing and strong winds, you have time of flight to worry about, etc etc.

Knowing the poor BC pmp bullets have I’ll load my 7x57 with a more modern bullet when hunting larger animals on the plains. Something with a much higher BC being launched much faster. Like for example a 140gr Barnes TTSX, or 140gr Nosler accubond, these bullets launched at lets’ say around 2800ft/s will make a remarkable difference to the problems mentioned. You’ll get optimal penetration (read impact velocities), you’ll have much better wind management, you have a shorter time of flight and flatter trajectory, etc etc.

In short, will your ammo work for the things you mentioned, yes, is it the best choice for the mentioned application, no.
    In other words, know your goal, use the correct equip to achieve that.
    In the case of the 308, will there be any disadvantage of using a high BC ,180gr, like SST or ELD-X 178GR, at 2450fps besides the obvious drop for the plains? So possibly a load that will work well for the bushveld but if one knows trajectory can take it out a bit further?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    In the case of the 308, will there be any disadvantage of using a high BC ,180gr, like SST or ELD-X 178GR, at 2450fps besides the obvious drop for the plains? So possibly a load that will work well for the bushveld but if one knows trajectory can take it out a bit further?
    I don't play Messor on the internet, but I reiterate my previous post: high BC really doesn't mean much within "normal" hunting distances (which I'll arbitrarily limit to 300m for the purpose of this discussion). Go plot the trajectory of a Swift A-frame (G1 BC of 0.4 according to my reference) and the two Hornady bullets (G1 = 0.447 and 0.535), when launched at the speed you mention, up to 300m (using G1 up to that distance is perfectly accurate).

Wind drift is also a function of BC, but it is a much stronger function of time-of-flight, and out to 300m all three of these will have similar flight times and should have minimal differences in wind drift.

High BC only really becomes into play for really long distance shots (which with my experience is anything past 350m!). If the aim is to have a flatter trajectory than the 180gr gives, up to 300m, the only real way is to shoot a lighter bullet faster. The one has to deal with all the possibly negative implications of that.

I've only hunted with 150gr Interbonds launched at ~2800fps. I've been very happy with them, but all shots have been Karoo type voorsit hunts. If I was walking in the bush, I'd be loaded with my very accurate 180gr Interlock load at 2450fps.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    Yes, there is a huge disadvantage.

Why, well I remember stuff, hence I know you've been asking a lot of questions everywhere you can but you still cannot make up your mind about how to run your 308.
    The reason why you cannot make up your mind is because you are robbing yourself. There is no need to make your 308 your jack of all trades rifle.

Go buy a few premium bullets and load them slow and heavy for bushveld work, done, problem solved.
    Then go buy yourself a dedicated plains caliber, like a 7x64, 270, 300wm etc, and load it to plains specifications.
    Now when you go on a trip you have a backup should the other go faulty, yet still you have a dedicated setup for both environments.

Yes Daniel, a 180gr high BC bullet in the 308 launched at normal speed, 2570ft/s, will easily reach out to 300m.
    But again, life is too short for using only one rifle, stop planning bullets in the 308 and start planning another caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    David, yes, you have the principle spot on, but you have to apply it now.

I think the 170gr pmp bullet at that velocity is more than enough for any bushveld hunting, sometimes I wonder how many things have been shot with that combination.

But knowing you are going to hunt the plains is more than just knowing the trajectory.
    300 meters does not sound far, it’s a spitting distance off a bench, but in the veld it becomes much more tricky. What I am saying is the bullet will put anything down at that distance, but distance is not your only concern. On the plains you sit with changing and strong winds, you have time of flight to worry about, etc etc.

Knowing the poor BC pmp bullets have I’ll load my 7x57 with a more modern bullet when hunting larger animals on the plains. Something with a much higher BC being launched much faster. Like for example a 140gr Barnes TTSX, or 140gr Nosler accubond, these bullets launched at lets’ say around 2800ft/s will make a remarkable difference to the problems mentioned. You’ll get optimal penetration (read impact velocities), you’ll have much better wind management, you have a shorter time of flight and flatter trajectory, etc etc.

In short, will your ammo work for the things you mentioned, yes, is it the best choice for the mentioned application, no.
    In other words, know your goal, use the correct equip to achieve that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    It would be difficult to find a caliber/bullet more suited to the use for which you intend.

That "lill old 170 gr 7mm Pro amm trundling along at 2400fps will punch through to the vitals AND expand on animals including Kudu and Bwb at any reasonable angle including quartering shots to beyond your 200m query.
    Thank you both for the feedback. Also feel a little like Daniel in trying to make up my mind here...

This has been an interesting thread for sure...

User

I started with 180's and they wouldn't stabilize in my CZ (1:12 twist) then I tried 150 Norma Kalahari's they are as strong as anything, give great expansion and have a much flatter shooting trajectory. I used both head and chest shots and at 250 meters it tool a gemsbok bull down in less than 20 steps , zebra headshots no problem at all.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6