Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Capability of the 150gr Mono vs 180?

Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    Practically speaking, will a 150gr mono or 165gr bonded load give much of a terminal performance difference to the 180gr cup and core? The drop is minimal if using a 200m zero? Heck do i really need premium bullets at my 308 velocities????
    Aha , see my threads, this is a dilemma i faced more than once. Truth be told, i still cant find a justifiable reason for ME to move over to premiums for my hunting out of a 308. I do most of my hunting in the bush, and the 180gr performs great. At this stage the only thing the premiums will do for me, is empty my wallet.. If i was shooting a magnum calibres or smaller calibres , id definitely shoot bonded or monos.

User

Just remember capability is down to how you use something.
    I think a light mono and heavy cup and core is equally capable, yet they both have their pros and cons.
    One must not dismiss any one of them outright without having done a good comparison between the pros and cons and then selected the correct one for the individual, or the individual task.

Life is short, hence I just use both.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Just remember capability is down to how you use something.
    I think a light mono and heavy cup and core is equally capable, yet they both have their pros and cons.
    One must not dismiss any one of them outright without having done a good comparison between the pros and cons and then selected the correct one for the individual, or the individual task.

Life is short, hence I just use both.
    For the 3-4 times a year biltong hunter, who wishes to use one of them, who predominantly hunts in the bush, which would you choose?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    For the 3-4 times a year biltong hunter, who wishes to use one of them, who predominantly hunts in the bush, which would you choose?
    If I know the bloke, I'll make an educated decision based on his personal criteria.
    But if I don't know the bloke, I'll side with the land owner, asking the client to use the strongest bullet he can afford, ensuring adequate penetration through dense bone and funny angles.

Example, if someone experienced is hunting with me and I have to lend him my 270, I'll give him the 150gr Gamekings to shoot with.
    If I don't know the bloke, and for some reason(that doesn't exist) have to give him my 270, I'll give him the 130gr TSX load to shoot with.

Why, with the TSX I know he'll get the penetration needed on all antelope, and if he is a genius and shoot the animal on the shoulder at 40m he won't blow it up.

Pros and cons, coupled with the scenario.
    Now here is a funny statement, when choosing bullets there is no right or wrong answers, only good or poor choices.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    Aha , see my threads, this is a dilemma i faced more than once. Truth be told, i still cant find a justifiable reason for ME to move over to premiums for my hunting out of a 308. I do most of my hunting in the bush, and the 180gr performs great. At this stage the only thing the premiums will do for me, is empty my wallet.. If i was shooting a magnum calibres or smaller calibres , id definitely shoot bonded or monos.
    Did some calcs on my past hunting trip. Cost per kg for the one animal I managed to shoot - R260 per kg. This was total cost of trip divided by 23kg of meat. Even at R100 per kg the saving on blood shot meat easily makes up for extra cost on premium bullet price. I dont shoot with premiums on the ranges except for checking POI. You might only shoot 20 premiums per year hunting and checking zero. Every kg of meat saved is where it starts making economic sense.

User

I have heard of monos zipping through animals without expanding, making hunters track animals for long distances. It has been mentioned on this forum before . Anybody experience this specifically on thin skinned animals like springbok?

User

Don't believe all the campfire and broken down telephone stories from persons who have only ever heard this from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from a friend
    You have to differentiate between an expanding mono, a fragmenting mono and a solid mono.
    If you had said that you have heard this about an Impala bullet I would agree otherwise not.

User

With mono's, just as with any other bullet type, you still need to select the correct bullet and load for your specific application.

User

If i were a once a year hunter and using a 30 caliber rifle i would stick with a 180 grain bullet. The combination seems to work well regardless of mono vs cup and core. Your range of shooting should lie well within the trajectory of the bullet as you are a part time hunter, like most the population.That said diversity is the spice of life and the abundant choices are there to choose from. In 30 cal hunting bullets the current choices will all work reliably if the hunter does his part.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    I have heard of monos zipping through animals without expanding, making hunters track animals for long distances. It has been mentioned on this forum before . Anybody experience this specifically on thin skinned animals like springbok?
    I have seen this, myself, several times.
    But it's not to say the bullets did not expand at all.

Go have a look at the bullet performance database in the hunting section.
    Check out the last 3 photo's of recovered bullets.

Post 304 -Barnes TTSX
    Post 310 PMP Pro-AMM
    Post 311 Federal fusion

Look at that photo's and tell me from which expansion will you get the biggest primary wound channel?
    Meaning if the bullet did reach the vitals which would generally put the animal down faster?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast