User

Default Lynx LX3 1-6x24 - Durability and excellent service

Following on from my feedback on the Lynx 1-6x24 scope in another thread here, some additional positive comments.

A few weeks ago I went to the range and had what I can only describe as the worst day I've ever had on a shooting range. It mainly involved a misbehaving 30-06 which was eventually sorted some weeks later. While flinging about R1k worth of 30-06 ammunition downrange to eliminate causes of the problem, I took a few shots my AR15 which was brought along mainly at the request of a friend who had not seen it yet. At some stage, the AR slid off the rifle rest I had on the bench and impacted terra firma.

No biggie, it's an AR right? It should take the abuse! Problem is, the AR landed scope first on the ground with the full weight of the AR behind it. The weight of a Daniel Defense M4V7LW and Warne mounts to be exact. Impact was with the illumination unit which got a big dent where impacted and cracked open on the other side. I link some photos showing the damage that resulted - these photos are what I sent off to Lynx to enquire as to what they can do for me.

Pretty bad then. Here's the good news: Despite this, the scope held zero as set before the impact and continued working for the rest of the day. The illumination even worked perfectly, the only issue being that the adjustment dial was more difficult to rotate. I was worried about long term performance and dust ingress into the electronics at the crack in the illumination adjustment dial so I contacted Lynx and later delivered it to them in Randburg myself. Lynx repaired it for me and did a service to confirm all is well within a week of receiving it. Fully expecting to have this set me back R1500 or more, I received the invoice on Tuesday for R456, including courier back to me and VAT.

At the very least, this shows that the Lynx can take a beating and keep going. It also shows the benefit of buying a local product. I shudder to think of the logistics and cost involved had I opted to buy a Vortex Strike Eagle, the other scope I considered, and did the same to it.

I'm now officially a Lynx fan.

User

Default Re: Lynx LX3 1-6x24 - Durability and excellent service

Thanks for sharing, the Lynx is still on my list of scope for my AR. Good to know their service is good as well.

However, what makes you think you won't get the same service from Vortex? From what I've heard, they would simply swap it out for you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Thanks for sharing, the Lynx is still on my list of scope for my AR. Good to know their service is good as well.

However, what makes you think you won't get the same service from Vortex? From what I've heard, they would simply swap it out for you.
    The local Vortex agents may swap it but seeing as this was clearly user error, not a warranty issue, I somehow doubt the swap would be free. Even if they give you a new unit, the old unit still needs to be sent for repairs abroad. Or they take a total loss on the new one. Or they charge you more for the new unit given to break even. Etcetera.

From a business point of view I just can't see an overseas brand resolving it as cheap as Lynx did for me. I may be wrong (and I'm known to be occasionally ) but that's my take. Also, given my comments in the link to the earlier thread, I'm not entirely convinced the Strike Eagle would have held zero like the Lynx did. I have no way of knowing this for sure and no intention to establish this beyond doubt

User

I'm not pushing Vortex here, I actually prefer the look and feel of the Lynx over the Strike Eagle, but it's so easy to just assume you won't get taken care of. What our local agents are like is another story as I have had no experience with them.

From Vortex's site:

"Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.
    You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
    • Fully transferable
    • No warranty card to fill out
    • No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product."

Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the reasons I like to stock the Lynx products and particularly this scope. Repair/warranty issues are quick resolved.

I have the scope on my NEA14.5 and it has a few dings in it and has spent a lot of time slung on my back whilst riding my quad.

Has held Zero throughout.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Not a scope but Vortex binoculars. I had a few issues with the binoculars, not only did they give me a new pair free of charge but they gave me the upgraded model. Also for and issue that could be classed as user error. I would imagine their service would extend to their scopes as well. No courier fee, no waiting period.

User

I'll admit that Vortex are known to give good customer service. I'll even admit they may have sorted me out with a new unit. Key word being "may". I know what Lynx did for me.

Note that last line you quote Bowman:
    The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.
    Just as they may have sorted me, they may have claimed the damage was cosmetic and didn't affect performance. There's just no knowing. If only we could find someone with a Strike Eagle to drop his AR with the scope impacting ground first then we could settle this properly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeswardt View Post
    Not a scope but Vortex binoculars. I had a few issues with the binoculars, not only did they give me a new pair free of charge but they gave me the upgraded model. Also for and issue that could be classed as user error. I would imagine their service would extend to their scopes as well. No courier fee, no waiting period.
    Eish. Now I feel bad for being so positive about Lynx.

Anyway, good to know that Vortex is looking after our small local market. Generally the guys in the States rave about Vortex's support.

User

I'm all for supporting local...
    But credit where credit is due. I am chuffed to hear that Lynx backs their products.