Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Gun Ownership: Right or Privilege ?

Morning guys I would like to get your thoughts on the following subject.
    Gun ownership: Should we have a right to own a firearm, or should this be a privilege ?

I Personally believe I should have the right to protect myself and my family. In Sa we have the Privilege with a massive process that takes about 6 months give or take, We have to really Motivate why we need a firearm and this could still lead to a Unsuccessful application.

Crime is always on the rise in Sa I think they should really consider making it a right ?
    Regards

User

Default Re: Gun Ownership: Right or Privilege ?

Gun ownership is a civil liberties issue,it has very little to do with crime.The anc specifically vetoed a 2nd amendment type clause. The right to life is somewhere in the constitution,so we are asking for the best tools for the job but also read the preamble of the FCA to give you the context of what "they" hope to achieve ideologically and where this fits into your "rights".

I'm a big gun nut, but I have to say in the South African context it should remain a privilege for the following reasons:
    1. Some members of our society resort to violence (knives, sticks, rocks) to “solve” trivial arguments.
    2. Violent mob mentality seen at demonstrations where traditional weapons are used as a show of force.
    3. In the South African context, a right means that the government is obligated to provide it to all citizens, and those that can’t pay don’t have to. That right then becomes an entitlement.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe the current licensing system is completely over the top and borders on ridiculous for the law abiding citizen. However, I believe it is better than a system where everyone is entitled to a firearm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    Gun ownership is a civil liberties issue,it has very little to do with crime.The anc specifically vetoed a 2nd amendment type clause. The right to life is somewhere in the constitution,so we are asking for the best tools for the job but also read the preamble of the FCA to give you the context of what "they" hope to achieve ideologically and where this fits into your "rights".
    Thanks for the info.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wernswa View Post
    I'm a big gun nut, but I have to say in the South African context it should remain a privilege for the following reasons:
    1. Some members of our society resort to violence (knives, sticks, rocks) to “solve” trivial arguments.
    2. Violent mob mentality seen at demonstrations where traditional weapons are used as a show of force.
    3. In the South African context, a right means that the government is obligated to provide it to all citizens, and those that can’t pay don’t have to. That right then becomes an entitlement.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe the current licensing system is completely over the top and borders on ridiculous for the law abiding citizen. However, I believe it is better than a system where everyone is entitled to a firearm.
    Ah,

the "elitist" gun owner type that thinks gun control is cool as long as they can comply?

Your prejudice based on pigmentation? Are just you an ordinary SA hunters or clay pigeon club shooter?

Here is the rub and the problem with the "logic",the very "people who shouldn't have access to guns" according to your arguement(guns mos cause violence) already have no problem laying their hands on shit way cooler than what you and I may buy from the corner gun store.Even if they don't care for guns,other tools like bricks,machetes,tyres,cans of petrol,etc do not seem to be presenting any problem acquiring either.

Who needs gfsa or anti-gun politicians?

User

Ah,

the "elitist" gun owner type that thinks gun control is cool as long as they can comply?

Your prejudice based on pigmentation? Are just you an ordinary SA hunters or clay pigeon club shooter?

Here is the rub and the problem with the "logic",the very "people who shouldn't have access to guns" according to your arguement(guns mos cause violence) already have no problem laying their hands on shit way cooler than what you and I may buy from the corner gun store.Even if they don't care for guns,other tools like bricks,machetes,tyres,cans of petrol,etc do not seem to be presenting any problem acquiring either.

PREACH!

Ah,

Bad policing and rights is not the same argument. Try again...

User

Quote Originally Posted by wernswa View Post
    Bad policing and rights is not the same argument. Try again...
    I think he is hinting that all your stated reasons make little to no sense if you acknowledge that prohibition only applies to the law abiding citizens. Which then raises the question of exactly who's access are you trying to limit?

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

I believe what werner is referring to is by far the minority and should the majority not uave the means to protect against exactly them?
    The poor is way more vulnerable to violence and dare i say violent crime is way more prevalent in the poorest communities. If they had access to guns and training one might conclude that crime will be routed out much easier

How does current legislation prevent vulnerable people from getting a firearm for self protection?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast