Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Default Re: Showdown - North Korea...

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    The quality of Russian arms and equipment have certainly more than caught-up with the best of the West. They have aircraft with super maneuverability comparable to that of the F22 and upgraded F25. The T90 tank is also highly capable, and their anti-aircraft and anti-ship missile systems are state of the art.
    "caught up"? Another widely held misperception.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ View Post
    When it comes to projecting and supporting forces across the globe, I think it means a lot, and I can't accept that a military spend that large in relation to the rest of the world does not count for something.
    Sure it does. It means they spend a lot. 1.5 trillion dollars on the development of the F35.... And the SU35 is still a better air superiority fighter (?). A kot of it is also a function of how and what you count. Medical care? Veteran's pensions? Etc. Numbers on their own don't mean much.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    "caught up"? Another widely held misperception.

There were no recorded air-to-air kills by Russian manufactured aircraft against any US aircraft during engagements in the 1980s, and more than a few MiG-29s were shot down. US avionics and missiles were far superior to the then-available Russian tech. So yes: near the end if the Cold War the gap between Western and Eastern weapons development did widen considerably. Remember Star Wars?

Maybe. Everyone has a temporary lead now and again.

Who made the best armour - and in quantity at that - during WW2 ?

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Too easy. T-34
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

The Panther was the best mass-production tank of WW2.

The most significant tank was, however, the T34. Mainly cause they built 30000+ T34's vs 5-6000 Panthers.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post
    The Panther was the best mass-production tank of WW2.

The most significant tank was, however, the T34. Mainly cause they built 30000+ T34's vs 5-6000 Panthers.
    But it was based on the T34, also the Panther wasn't as reliable as the Rooskie tank :D
    Last edited by CorditeCrazy; 14-08-2017 at 09:27.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    But it was based on the T34, also the Panther wasn't as reliable as the Rooskie tank :D
    The Russians made everything interchangeable. Thus you could maintain a T-34 with parts from their trucks etc.

the Germans had everything bespoke. So you couldn't cannibalize a truck for a panther

It would appear that they thought that Russia could be brought to heel as rapidly and easily as France was, as evidenced by the lack of planning and preparation for a long campaign. They did after all consider the Russians (and indeed all Slavs) to be subhuman. As far as I know, while they may have come to flattening a number of places, including Moscow, at no point were the Soviets even remotely close to the possibility of surrender, either in practical or psychological terms. But I only know what I read; my knowledge is in a sense all hearsay.
    True

The only thing the Germans really had was a genuine element of surprise. the Russians didn't see it coming, and for good reason. The Russians and Germans had been close allies since Versailles, with the Russians helping the Germans re-arm outside the Treaty of Versailles.

There would have been no October Revolution if it weren't for Germany, so the Bolsheviks owed Germany for their power in the first place anyway. A great piece on this is History's Greatest Heist - the financial history of the Bolsheviks.

And the Iosif Stalin?

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast