Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Showdown - North Korea...

What I believe is also easliy forgotten when talking about the eastern front is the level of logistic support the Soviets got from the US. At one point was it something like 80% of Soviet trucks were US. The big question is if the Soviets had to also manufacture there logistics support would they still have done so well. I think they still would have won but the war would have been much longer.The below is from wikipedia.The United States sold to the Soviet Union from October 1, 1941 to May 31, 1945 the following: 427,284 trucks, 13,303 combat vehicles, 35,170 motorcycles, 2,328 ordnance service vehicles, 2,670,371 tons of petroleum products (gasoline and oil) or 57.8 percent of the High-octane aviation fuel,[24] 4,478,116 tons of foodstuffs (canned meats, sugar, flour, salt, etc.), 1,911 steam locomotives, 66 Diesel locomotives, 9,920 flat cars, 1,000 dump cars, 120 tank cars, and 35 heavy machinery cars. Provided ordnance goods (ammunition, artillery shells, mines, assorted explosives) amounted to 53 percent of total domestic production.[24] One item typical of many was a tire plant that was lifted bodily from the Ford Company's River Rouge Plant and transferred to the USSR

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    The Russians made everything interchangeable. Thus you could maintain a T-34 with parts from their trucks etc.

the Germans had everything bespoke. So you couldn't cannibalize a truck for a panther
    They still do that. You can swap out parts from a Russian micro lite and stick them in a Mig29
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Erm, gents. Can we discuss North Korea please.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Dammit, I was learning a lot from this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by frac View Post
    What I believe is also easliy forgotten when talking about the eastern front is the level of logistic support the Soviets got from the US. At one point was it something like 80% of Soviet trucks were US. The big question is if the Soviets had to also manufacture there logistics support would they still have done so well. I think they still would have won but the war would have been much longer.The below is from wikipedia.The United States sold to the Soviet Union from October 1, 1941 to May 31, 1945 the following: 427,284 trucks, 13,303 combat vehicles, 35,170 motorcycles, 2,328 ordnance service vehicles, 2,670,371 tons of petroleum products (gasoline and oil) or 57.8 percent of the High-octane aviation fuel,[24] 4,478,116 tons of foodstuffs (canned meats, sugar, flour, salt, etc.), 1,911 steam locomotives, 66 Diesel locomotives, 9,920 flat cars, 1,000 dump cars, 120 tank cars, and 35 heavy machinery cars. Provided ordnance goods (ammunition, artillery shells, mines, assorted explosives) amounted to 53 percent of total domestic production.[24] One item typical of many was a tire plant that was lifted bodily from the Ford Company's River Rouge Plant and transferred to the USSR
    The US supply was small in the USSR scheme if things. But the timing was critically important.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Yes. We digress but it's related and not uninteresting. There are parallels.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    And the Iosif Stalin?

He was part of it. The Germans and Russians had closely cooperated right up the invasion by Germany.

User

He was part of it. The Germans and Russians had closely cooperated right up the invasion by Germany.
    China today implemented UN sanctions against NK. This I think is a direct result of President Trump's tough talk. China doesn't want a war, I'm sure of that. They would prefer trade over conflict.

Can you imagine the fuck ups that would be taking place if the Great Apologist was still in office?

The armour, not the man... The gun on the IS-2 had more than 5x the muzzle energy of the 88 mounted on the Tiger and the Panther.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 14-08-2017 at 17:50.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Possible NK missile launch tomorrow.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast