Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Recipe's for Guinea Fowl

Doe's anyone have any good recipe's for this tough old bird.I have tried the rock recipe and found the rock rather tough.No, jokes aside the hunting season is fast approaching and I am sure that other folk would like to hear some good tips. Thanks in advance guys.

User

Here are a few.....

With various vegetables.....with Rosemary...and my personal favourite if all else fail!

Enjoy

My experience is that the curing is as important as how you cook the bird.

If I have gone to the effort to skin the whole bird, I cut the bird into two halves (down the back and length of the breast) and cure for at least 7 days in the fridge. I like to have a bit of dry white wine (CL Leipoldt said "wine for cooking must be white and dry" and he knew a thing or two about making good grub) in with the birds in the covered container in the fridge as it stops them smelling a bit high by the end of the process.

You can then cook as you see fit. I like half birds slow roasted roasted with a skin of fatty bacon (uncovered in an oven 180 deg C - 2 hrs, dust with coarse salt for last 30mins), but am also fond of cutting the meat off the bones and making a caserole and pies - use the carcases for stock.

You must drink red wine with you guinea feast - it is simply non negotiable!

I often just use the "remove breasts and legs" approach, but my conscience and my wife bother me about this (my wife, because she feels that guinea carcases make unsurpassed stock).

Happy bird hunting - We are going to hunt guineas near Thabazimbi this weekend!!

Sweet

User

"We are going to hunt guineas near Thabazimbi this weekend!!"

Dude what's wrong with our Birds that you need to go that far ??
    You are taking the Dogs I hope.

User

Stock... now there's an idea.

We have way too many of these spotty chickens on Boyes Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Phil View Post
    "We are going to hunt guineas near Thabazimbi this weekend!!"

Dude what's wrong with our Birds that you need to go that far ??
    You are taking the Dogs I hope.
    Eish, sorry, away for work and the bitch is on heat.....so she couldn't come along, she has in the past though.

Nuffink wong wiff out burds - seeryous!

How has your season been so far?

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    Stock... now there's an idea.

We have way too many of these spotty chickens on Boyes Drive.
    True, true..... and on the Constantia side of Ou Kaapse Weg, De Waal, Kirstenbosch Drive and even on Signal Hill. They are evil and should be tamed!

I agree with curing. For the final day make a marinade with red wine, garlic, onions, celery and carrots (all big chunks) and coke. Drain off and save the marinade and roast as per a chicken. while that is roasting take come of the marinade and use it to make a gravy (butter and flour in a saucepan brown gently while stirring, then add liquid marinade slowly whilst stirring.) Now for the real trick, add some good dark bitter chocolate and simmer simmer.

Hmm, spotted chickens..

User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Eish, sorry, away for work and the bitch is on heat.....so she couldn't come along, she has in the past though.

Nuffink wong wiff out burds - seeryous!

How has your season been so far?

Sweet
    Fortunately I haven't gone into "Season" Yet, http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif, should I give you a call when I do.

However a can report that the Boys are having a blast, I haven't been home on a Weekend since the 1st Survey, Mid March, for the last three weekends it's only been Saturdays and the seems to be that way till Mid June when it's weekends again.
    The Boys are doing good, I'm very happy with them. Hows yours doing ?

Oh, before I forget, there is the possibility of a Get Together Mid June, I'm just waiting for the Captain to get back, she's up North for two weeks. We'll do a Mail Drop, Try to bring the Lion of Mature along and sleep over this time.
    Waidmannsdank

User

Default Administrasie Hoenders ( Administration Chickens)

All I can say regards these evil creatures is, wait till the wheat is the right length and then it's Payback Time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast