Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Wounded birds from wingshooting?

Just remember we are talking about a bird capable of flying very fast, living in a man made world absolutely full of objects that can seriously wound or kill it.
    As a hunter your first thought goes towards that which you know, but a farmer that does not allow hunting on his premises have the exact same injuries.

I am not a wing shooter personally, but I'll be very careful not to point a finger towards them without concrete evidence.
    It only takes one fool to hear how this bird was shot and left for dead to start a petition or other nonsense, when the scenario could(and probably is) something completely different.

Get a good dog from a good breeder then put in the time and effort to have it trained to the right standard

Banned

It's very easy to sit in front of a computer and criticize someone for wounding a bird. However, shotguns throw a wide pattern and pellets can hit a bird on the perimeter very easily. I have followed birds with my dog for over 1/4 mile only to have them get up out of range and fly off again.

If you bird hunt, you will wound and lose birds. That is fact. If you have never lost one, you don't bird hunt. A dog cannot fly and very good dogs lose birds too.

User

This happens more than we realize. I had a habit of working up a kloof and down the next. One day, I worked up a kloof and worked it back down again. on this particular piece of land there are three kloofs, and I know each kloof and covey well. On the way down I filled my bag without firing a shot, Birds I thought I had missed on the way up were in fact winged, they just happened to glide out of sight which lead to me believe I was shooting badly. If it wasnt for my dogs picking up scent I would never have known about this as they were sitting tight in renosterveld . That was the last day I worked a kloof only in one direction. These were Cape Francs . it happens to the best of us, even those with dogs all we can do is try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2