Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Wounded birds from wingshooting?

We went for a stroll this afternoon and at one place there was a small collection of doves and pigeons near an open water point. My son asked permission to chase them and one of them didn't fly off.

I caught it and on examination saw that it had been wounded - busted leg and gut shot. The wound was smelling and obviously festering inside.

It left me with the question how often this happens? We don't leave wounded antilope in the field but how about wounded birds?

Banned

Default Re: Wounded birds from wingshooting?

I imagine it flew off when wounded. Hard to follow up a flying critter.

I shot a duck once after it surfaced after diving. The others flew off when this one dived, The dead duck had one wing missing. It had healed completely. Not all wounded animals/birds die.

It happens fairly often. Especially people shooting without dogs. Pricked birds can go some distance. Shooting into coveys of birds or large groups of pigeon is irresponsible, especially at a distance, for this very reason.

To ensure you do your best to do your best to avoid losing pricked birds:
    - Use the correct shot.
    - Don't shoot at multiple targets.
    - Mark your birds down.
    - Use dogs.
    - Avoid going for birds out of your comfort zone (too high/far)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    It left me with the question how often this happens? We don't leave wounded antelope in the field but how about wounded birds?
    It does happen, which is why a responsible wingshooter will ensure that there is a good number of trained gundogs among the group, and spread out wide enough to cover most of the guns, some of the groups even take along dedicated dog handlers. All efforts should be made to retrieve any shot game, whether fur or fowl. And wounded birds must be counted towards the bag, I hear of way too many "wingshooters" not doing this.

What also gets to me is the constant bad advice being dispensed on correct shot size, by gunshop staff and fellow wingshooters alike, I think the majority of birds being wounded emanate from this and shooting beyond one's limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    It happens fairly often. Especially people shooting without dogs. Pricked birds can go some distance. Shooting into coveys of birds or large groups of pigeon is irresponsible, especially at a distance, for this very reason.

To ensure you do your best to do your best to avoid losing pricked birds:
    - Use the correct shot.
    - Don't shoot at multiple targets.
    - Mark your birds down.
    - Use dogs.
    - Avoid going for birds out of your comfort zone (too high/far)
    Good post Springer

User

Responsible shooting is a must. I have been amazed at how tough some of our birds are, especially spurwing and Egyptian geese. I've killed a few of them over the years that only had one leg - of course it could be that they have lost their legs to other incidents, not just shooting.
    One example still had a piece of fishing line wrapped around its ankle and biting into the leg with most of the leg just below the patella (knee) rotten off. :(

User

A couple of years ago on 50/50's veld fokus there was a series of pictures of a bird (LBJ) with a blow dart through its chest going merrily about its business. They discussed how if a bird is not wounded fatally they will adapt to their wound and continue living on to near normal live expectancy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I caught it and on examination saw that it had been wounded - busted leg and gut shot.
    You found a pellet?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    You found a pellet?
    No, and without any cleaning / sanitising capability nearby I am not going to fool around a stinking wound. Especially while having to handle my children. What I found on inspection is a through-and-through wound from the back to the stomach with intestines protruding.

User

Just saying, the very first question anybody asks when looking at a wounded animal is was it shot, ask any PH or farm owner.
    When in fact animals get wounded every single day, antelope and birds alike. Many injuries from wires and other stuff are very often associated to being shot, when in fact the vast majority of animals wounded in the wild have nothing to do with shooting.

I does happen of course, but I bet by far the most injuries associated with gunshot wounds have nothing to do with it.

Banned

I wondered about a natural wound as well but the busted leg together with the wound indicates more than a flying incident.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast