Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Which division - Which gun

So after shooting Africa champs with the super squad filled with lots of IPSC fanboys bemoaning everything from the scoring right through to the dashing vests, I have been intrigued as to the quality of the grass on the other side... I will just puff, not inhale, promise.

Since I am itching for a new toy and know that everything gun related takes some time I thought it practical to start early with what gun to get licensed.

First off I have very little interest in 40sw or bigger. 9mm is cheap, reliable and fun enough for me. These exotic cartridges that use 9mm bullets are also not my flavor. 9x19 it needs to be.

Thus it looks like Production it would be unless there is anything else that is practical for 9mm. I also like my guns pretty stock and adding optics will hopefully only be necessary for me in another 50 years or so.

Now my conundrum. I am a Glock fan boy and all my pistols are Glocks apart from my .22 I have been shooting striker guns since I started shooting and have only done a few mags worth with a hammer gun. I shoot revolver also so a DA first shot isn't an issue. With the 9mm's I have I can shoot the G19 in production (short) or the G34 in standard minor (silly) or get a new toy. G17 would be the obvious solution but I'm thinking maybe something new.

My thinking is to spend around R25-30k all in. Gun, mags, holsters, etc.
    The options I am looking at.
    -G17 with front serrations- OK this would probably be the cheapest as I have mags and holsters, not a speed rig, So getting going is easy. And the front serrations are cool.
    -CZ, I can't believe it but it may just come to this. Since I'm looking at the dark side I may as well look at the toys as well.
    -Shadow 1 - Great gun I'm told and well proven. Will work for IDPA as well, Pricing is fair especially with the shadow 2 on the scene
    -Shadow 2 - Well Fuck me. It looks cool. Seems to be built for Production. From the Tube it seems to be a flat shooter as well. Will not work for IDPA. Not a real issue as I have guns for that...
    -Shadow Orange - Not going to work in the budget, but it's got orange grips and my 4yo will love me forever.
    -Tanfoglio Stock II or which ever one is the production gun - I have no experience with these. I also think the budget will not approve.
    -Arsenal strike one speed. For a striker gun it's awesome. Low bore makes for very little muzzle lift and super fast cycling makes it impossible to beat the gun to the trigger. There seems to be a bit of uncertainty on the webz about the future of this gun. I understand some or all production has moved to the US. Mmmm I don't like to be a beta tester.
    -S&W. They do nothing for me. Revolvers they are the stuff of dreams for me and I have one but for pistols. Just never took off.
    -What else is there?

Please tell me you have milk and cookies.

User

Default Re: Which division - Which gun

About bloody time! Welcome to the dark side, cookies will be presented at your first match

Shoot your 19. I did it for well over a year and did ok

IF you really have to buy a new pistola
    Shadow 1 and a brazillion rounds of ammo

Glock is at a disadvantage with the silly trigger pull weight rules

You joining GC?

User

Why not a Glock 17 MOS so you can add an optic should there ever be a "Carry Optic/Production Optic" division?

User

Would wait for General Assembly to complete before any rush to buy an optic ready pistol. Proposed rules were retarded

User

What about Classic minor?

User

Its for weird old people

User

As with new shooters, go and shoot what you have currently with the IPSC guys. You will have a few odd looks your way because of your 19 but who cares.

Once you have figured out what you want, buy it

A shadow 2 would work nicely into your budget and have good resale value if you decide to stick with glock, like I did. Although I seldom shoot IPSC pistol

User

Agree with Neil & pdh. Get started with the G19 in Production. A SP-01 Shadow would be ideal, i think the majority of Production shooters are using them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Acajou View Post
    What about Classic minor?
    Does a Glock fit in classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Why not a Glock 17 MOS so you can add an optic should there ever be a "Carry Optic/Production Optic" division?
    Have the 19 in MOS with optics I'll probably use that but i like Iron sights for now.

I hear and understand all the advice around shooting what you have etc. But I can buy the gun now. I have a few options and because more guns...

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I hear and understand all the advice around shooting what you have etc. But I can buy the gun now. I have a few options and because more guns...
    Shadow SP-01 or a Shadow 2, you won't go wrong with either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast