Thread: renewal dilemma

User

Default renewal dilemma

Hi,

I want to sell a rifle and shotgun. Their licenses are due for renewal in Dec which means I need to start the process end of this month. Can I advertise and sell them and do the renewals or should I rather wait until the renewal is complete? Need the cash though :-(

User

Default Re: renewal dilemma

Logic tells me to book it into dealer stock... but you probably will come back with "I don't want to pay storage fees" or something.

If that's where this is headed then you'll have to wait till your renewals are complete so that you don't completely cockup the process

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Not too fezzed about the storage fees. Need to understand the process though. If I do that and do not do the renewal and the weapons aren't sold, where does that leave me regarding the validation of the licenses?

User

Quote Originally Posted by cvschalk View Post
    Not too fezzed about the storage fees. Need to understand the process though. If I do that and do not do the renewal and the weapons aren't sold, where does that leave me regarding the validation of the licenses?
    Search the thread there are many more detailed posts but essentially booking it into dealer stock gets the firearm removed from your name (as if you had sold the firearm to the dealer) and therefore No longer needs to be renewed.

This is considerably quicker than relicencing it. Another benefit is that the new owner can transfer it to a dealer of his choice and it's no longer your problem.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Thanx

Only small hickup might be. CFR.

Last year Febr 16 I sold my CZ Shadow.
    The buyer asked me to transfer to his dealer.
    Dealer sent me 534 to fill in. I did.
    Dealer took to SAPS DFO. They signed stamped. I received copy of this back.
    The end of that month the dealer even forwarded me a SAP350 they submitted to CFR with different firearms on with mine highlighted on. So I filed it.

Come September I go apply for a license. DFO checks my stuff on System. Tells me the Shadow still on my name.
    He then puts copies of 534 and 350 with my app.
    I also phoned CFR. Spoke to guy in Western Cape Section. He asked me to email so he can look into it.
    Response back was. Keep documents on file. They are behind or something as always. And apparently as soon as firearm is approved on new person. They do all the transferring. In the meantime its on my name. Although over 6 months at dealer with correct paper work.

So the hickup is. If this happens. And you dont renew. What then happens if new guy applies and CFR hasnt transferred to dealer before yours expired.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Only small hickup might be. CFR.

Last year Febr 16 I sold my CZ Shadow.
    The buyer asked me to transfer to his dealer.
    Dealer sent me 534 to fill in. I did.
    Dealer took to SAPS DFO. They signed stamped. I received copy of this back.
    The end of that month the dealer even forwarded me a SAP350 they submitted to CFR with different firearms on with mine highlighted on. So I filed it.

Come September I go apply for a license. DFO checks my stuff on System. Tells me the Shadow still on my name.
    He then puts copies of 534 and 350 with my app.
    I also phoned CFR. Spoke to guy in Western Cape Section. He asked me to email so he can look into it.
    Response back was. Keep documents on file. They are behind or something as always. And apparently as soon as firearm is approved on new person. They do all the transferring. In the meantime its on my name. Although over 6 months at dealer with correct paper work.

So the hickup is. If this happens. And you dont renew. What then happens if new guy applies and CFR hasnt transferred to dealer before yours expired.
    CFR not capturing paperwork is nothing new.. went through the same process after they did not capture a firearm transferred form importer to dealer, all you can do really is submit all relevant paperwork or at least that is how I got my licence sorted.

As I said, in that case it is no longer the OPs problem, this is the single biggest benefit to going the dealers route.